Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again BTEA, but this time it's complicated...

Options
  • 20-07-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

So, I was happily waiting for my studies, filling BTEA form, when I received a letter from Social Welfare informing that my Jobseekers Benefit is due to finish shortly. It will happen circa 11/08/2009 or something.

I went down to my local Social office and they said I have to apply for Jobseekers Allowance, that is means tested and the decision is being made after ages... It can be up to 3 months. That means I’ll know if I get JA in October or so, but they said I can leave the BTEA form with them.

Jobseeker Allowance is for people who are willing to get a job, but I’m prepared for going to college. What should I do?:

1. I hand in both forms (BTEA & JA). I’m afraid they will assume that I’m not willing to work, hence I do not qualify for JA and, of course, BTEA?

2. I write a letter and make JA form motivated (I’ll explain situation that I want to go to college and I need JA to get BTEA, otherwise I won’t be able to support myself during studies).

3. Apply for JA saying nothing about going to college in September and, hopefully, apply for BTEA in October or so.

4. ???

Any help would be appreciated, any thought, or I should say Good-Bye to BTEA?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Have you been to see your local employment services officer? I think with the economy and jobs scene the way it is, they'll be happy that you have any sort of plan to get off the live register (which going on Back to Education Allowance does) and won't be hounding you for a job. Explain that you're actively looking for a job, but since this is unlikely to happen you're applying for college as well since doing nothing is driving you insane and college will give you more options etc!

You're meant to be actively looking for work for Jobseeker's Benefit too, so they can't make too much of a deal about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Blueprint wrote: »
    Have you been to see your local employment services officer? I think with the economy and jobs scene the way it is, they'll be happy that you have any sort of plan to get off the live register (which going on Back to Education Allowance does) and won't be hounding you for a job. Explain that you're actively looking for a job, but since this is unlikely to happen you're applying for college as well since doing nothing is driving you insane and college will give you more options etc!

You're meant to be actively looking for work for Jobseeker's Benefit too, so they can't make too much of a deal about.

Yes I did speak with two officers today, but more questions you ask, more confused they are getting... Though they were real helpfull and adviced me to fill all forms and hand them in. I asked what will be if I write a letter saying I need JA for BTEA, officer said it won't be very helpfull.

I rang somewhere to BTEA department and they said that I could ask JA deciding officer to process my claim quicker... Probably I'll write a letter explaining the situation and hand in the forms ASAP.

And if officers will think like you do, Blueprint, I won't be having any problems. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hacks

I'm in the exact same position and know a friend in the same one aswell, i've to meet some inspector gadget guy on Tuesday about switching from the benefit (stamps) to the allowance. I think i'll just let on that i'm looking for work and then just land them with the BTEA in a month or 2. I need my J.Allowance to be processed at record speed aswell as i cant afford a week without some sort of payment, what are my chances ??

Hacks wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position and know a friend in the same one aswell, i've to meet some inspector gadget guy on Tuesday about switching from the benefit (stamps) to the allowance. I think i'll just let on that i'm looking for work and then just land them with the BTEA in a month or 2. I need my J.Allowance to be processed at record speed aswell as i cant afford a week without some sort of payment, what are my chances ??

What I did. I applied for JA and BTEA at the same time. Enclosed a letter, kindy asking to process my application as soon as they can, explained that I need JA for BTEA.

Went to Health Board and had a friendly chat with officer. Explained the situation, she said I could get BTEA without JA, but anyway desicion will be made by Social Welfare officer. In case they refuse to give me BTEA, Health Board will give me supplement payments and maybe then I'll be entitled for BTEA, because supplementary payments can be taken into account for BTEA... It's complicated. Basically I spent this week in Social Welfare office... Now I have to wait patiently

Would you advise going down the same road as you ?? The way i'm thinking of going about is to go in and say nothing about college, give them the sob story (well i am actually skint) and say i need the J.A. proceesed asap. Then in 2 months when college is about to start go in with the BTEA, i wont meet the inspector when i go back with that anyway. What you think ??

• Advertisement

Would you advise going down the same road as you ?? The way i'm thinking of going about is to go in and say nothing about college, give them the sob story (well i am actually skint) and say i need the J.A. proceesed asap. Then in 2 months when college is about to start go in with the BTEA, i wont meet the inspector when i go back with that anyway. What you think ??

If your studies commence only after 2 months, your situation is different than mine. I have to start in September and my JB is due to finish in middle August, so I'm short by two weeks.

The biggest problem is the qualifying time for JA. It's grand if the decision will be made until you start your studies, then you can apply for BTEA...

As I said previously, I was told that Supplementary payments from Health Board can be concidered as social welfare payments for BTEA qualification, so I guess you can apply for JA, go to your local Health Board for Supplement Welfare and when time comes - apply for BTEA.

Well ya i'm due to start in Sept aswell but my J.B. is due to finish next week and college is the end of September as far as i know. Surely to God they'll have the J.A. sorted within 2 months ?? My local welfare office are generally on top of things and i'm gonna be up their arse annoying them about this too

Well ya i'm due to start in Sept aswell but my J.B. is due to finish next week and college is the end of September as far as i know. Surely to God they'll have the J.A. sorted within 2 months ?? My local welfare office are generally on top of things and i'm gonna be up their arse annoying them about this too

It's hard to tell... Well I personaly went the "honest way" opening all cards I had. I'm not Irish national, so my JA will be processed much longer (over Habitual residence test...) Time for me would be more than 3 months, so I would know the decision in October or so...

I wouldn't call that annoying. Personaly I think it's a good thing to stand up out the crowd and let them know that you're serious. This could be a huge advantage for ya or they just can tell ya to fcuk off.

What's really anoying is that nobody can give you a decent advice, because it's not possible. Every person is tested on his personal circumstances. So I think in our case we have to try it the hard way. I did what was in my power and now it's up to the deciding officers.

i hear ya man, the only thing is that these days the "deciding officer" is gonna be under intense pressure to make cuts and try their best not to pay out any borderline cases.

i hear ya man, the only thing is that these days the "deciding officer" is gonna be under intense pressure to make cuts and try their best not to pay out any borderline cases.

Lets be optimistic and don't think about it...

At the moment I see only two legit ways to get BTEA. First is getting JA and then BTEA, or get Supplementary Welfare and then BTEA.

And lets think "deciding officers" will be more under pressure to take people of Live Register, than deal with borderline cases and rising unemployment. (I sleep better when I think like that).

Anyways, I'll keep updating here what's happening.

EDIT:
    And your you, I think anyway you'll have to apply for JA, so don't delay. You can go to Health Board and ask for Supplementary payments (be sure you'll take some documentation from Social Office for them). And if there will be no news about yer JA before September (or when your course starts), apply for BTEA and say you are getting payments from Health Board. Or go the "honest way".

Sorry can't help you much with advices, because I'm stumped a little myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement