Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moonwalk One Documentary

Options
  • 20-07-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Tonight on Discovery @10 the documentary Moonwalk One is on. Supposed to be fairly good. The film's director was selected by NASA a while before the mission to capture the feeling on earth at the time. It was released in the 70's but has been hidden away for a while and recently released on dvd. Might not be so good to watch it now though seen as theres been a load of Apollo stuff on the past while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonwalk_One

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I've selectively avoided most of the documentaries (time constraints) so am excited about this one!

Anyone see 'In the shadow of the moon'? Mike Collins is a true legend :)

In the Shaddow of the Moon is really brilliant. I must have watched it 10 times at this stage.

I'm the same as you efla, I've purposely avoided every other moon/Apollo documentary, just so this one would seem new and fresh. It should be a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

'In the shadow of the Moon' has quality images but I thought it was bit too Hollywood.

'For All Mankind' is much better imo - fantastic soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I loved In The Shadow of the Moon as well.

Think I'll tape it this evening as it's on quite late (00.10 on Channel 4)

In the Shaddow of the Moon is really brilliant. I must have watched it 10 times at this stage.

I'm the same as you efla, I've purposely avoided every other moon/Apollo documentary, just so this one would seem new and fresh. It should be a good watch.

I hope so, looks like one of the better ones within the recent saturation of docs - not that its bad at all, considering what the shuttle and such has done recently for awareness

Anyone planning on going to Dan Perry in trinity on Thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

efla wrote: »
    I hope so, looks like one of the better ones within the recent saturation of docs - not that its bad at all, considering what the shuttle and such has done recently for awareness

" within the recent saturation of docs "

lol efla , i guess iv seen them all now this week , :D
    Stargate

Stargate wrote: »

" within the recent saturation of docs "

lol efla , i guess iv seen them all now this week , :D
    Stargate

What did you think of moonwalk one? I wish they had left out the inserts, really took away from it.

What did you think of moonwalk one? I wish they had left out the inserts, really took away from it.

still watching it on Discovery +1 :)

Very good

Stargate

still watching it on Discovery +1 :)

Very good

Stargate

(I wont tell you how it ends) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ah moonwalk one was too arty farty, the start had this high pitched whining noise i had to turn it off, watched moonshoot with spike and the bloke from teachers.

• Advertisement

(I wont tell you how it ends) :D

Watching " In the Shaddow of the Moon " a great doc :)

So many things going on this week , ISS , SS , etc
    my heads spinning lol

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

Anyone see 'In the shadow of the moon'?

just seen it for the first time tonight, F***ing awesome !

I had watched moonwalk one earlier and was pretty disappointed. So i was not expecting much from 'In the shadow of the moon'. How wrong i was. It beats just about everything i have seen so far on the the Apollo missions, and that includes everything I have seen on discovery and National Geographic which i have really enjoyed.

What a program, simply awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

whad did ye all think of the Tv series 'from the earth to the Moon'?

tis something like 12 DVD's in a box set with 3 or four eps per DVD

took me an entire weekend to watch it a while ago.

I thought it was a little bit meandery inpoints but generally entertaining and informative

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I thought it was a little bit meandery inpoints but generally entertaining and informative
    That my friend is a fantastic series. I am a spaceflight freak:D, That has to be the best series ever made. By the way "In the Shadow of the Moon and For all Mankind are classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone see 'In Search of Neil Armstrong' on BBC Four I think it was last night? The BBC should be ashamed of themselves. The documentary started out fine enough under the premise that Neil Armstrong doesn't give interviews so we'll interview his friends to find out about him. Unfortunately the second half was more abotu the presenter creaming himself over being able to write emails to the man and getting some replies a real 'Oh look who's email address I've got' effort! It turned into an ego trip for the twat presenting it. The ironic thing was that the reason given generally for Neil Armstron's reticence, and addressed also in this documentary, was that he felt he was laregely being exploited by people and believed also that it wasn't him personally who deserved all the credit for landing on the moon. This documentary certainly reeked of exploitation. Should never have been shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I watched a small bit of the moonwalk one documentary last night. Definitaly a documentary of the hippy generation. You would have a clip of buzz and neill in the command module then suddenly it would show a clip flowers and bees.:confused: Odd to say the least. The sound effects were driving me mad too so i watched something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I recorded it, it does not sound promising now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Oh dear, I was planning on recording it next Sat on Discovery, not so sure now!

I can't understand why people are giving it such bad reviews!

I have to say that I don't think it's as good as In the Shaddow of the Moon or For all Mankind but it is good in its own ways. I thought that it portrayed the surreal feelings that must have been present in any person who was involved with the mission. It reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey, it had the same type of cinematography and style.

It's definitely worth a watch, and I've seen far worse documentaries on the Apollo missions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

I was sky plusing both Moonwalk One and In the Shadow of the Moon but they clashed. Now I have all of Moonwalk One and about half of the other. Reading this I think I got a bad deal.

• Advertisement

I think people should watch it and make up their own minds about it. It just was not really for me tbh.

I suppose when people think about the Apollo Programme they think more about the scientific and technological triumph that it was and not the more spiritual side to it. No harm it taking a different slant on it I suppose.

I can't understand why people are giving it such bad reviews!

I have to say that I don't think it's as good as In the Shaddow of the Moon or For all Mankind but it is good in its own ways. I thought that it portrayed the surreal feelings that must have been present in any person who was involved with the mission. It reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey, it had the same type of cinematography and style.

It's definitely worth a watch, and I've seen far worse documentaries on the Apollo missions.
    In places throughout the film, telemetry sounds from spacecraft were integrated so that they themselves became the music. None of these telemetry sounds were from Apollo, because by that time telemetry was so rapid and of such frequency that even slowed down was inaudible to the ear. The telemetry sounds were taken from Mariner IV which flew by Mars many years before, the last time such sounds were audible.

so he didn't even use the sounds from the those missions so why did he use them at all? cos annoying sounds are arty :mad::rolleyes:

TheManWho wrote: »
    I was sky plusing both Moonwalk One and In the Shadow of the Moon but they clashed. Now I have all of Moonwalk One and about half of the other. Reading this I think I got a bad deal.
    Go to amazon and buy In the Shadow of the Moon. Well worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Frank Ryan Jr

If you watch 'The Making of Moonwalk One' you will see
    it is just a 'time capsule' as the Director put's it.

Yes the film has those annoying '60's' soundtrack sounds
    but it was of the time.

I like the way he explains the different shots in justaposition.
    The sterile environment of the flight ready room against all
    the bars and clubs and people out partying at the same time...
    there is a certain innosence to it by modern viewing standards.
    Sort of like if you pick up an astronomy book from the 60's or early 70's,
    the text and images / drawings may as well have a time stamp on them.
    But cool none the less..

Anyway,
    just don't expect a modern docu style film with loads of
    HD and interviews..
    it's not that kind of film.
    It's good that the time capsule still survived!

I started watching it but the constant changing to music and people dancing etc put me off so I stopped and deleted it.
    I think the only thing that makes me disappointed is the hype.

I started watching it but the constant changing to music and people dancing etc put me off so I stopped and deleted it.
    I think the only thing that makes me disappointed is the hype.

I would also recommend you also watch the excellent documentary series "Moon Machines" Well worth watching even if your not into the technical side of the Apollo programme. They are all on youtube.

did anyone catch discovery first on the moon, was it about the russia landers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dave Lillis

Guys'n Gals,
    Go watch Moonwalk one, I thought it was a breath of fresh air, usually documentaries on Discovery all have the same format, same annoying synthesiser music, same voiced commentator, but there was abit of 2001 a space odessy about this one, they could have cut some from it but it gets the message across.

BUT, well into it, the scenes of the apollo launch was one of the best launch edits I've seen in any documentary, they had many clips sliced together, no unnecessary commentary, just sit back and imagine you're on the launch pad next to it, you get a real sence of the power of the thing, I went back and played that section again.
    I remember the clip of Armstrong and Aldrin been suited up before the launch, the 2 of them looked visibly tense, great atmosphere.

I liked it, others might not, that my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Going very cheap on amazon.com at the moment.

Advertisement