Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Basic Q.

Options
  • 20-07-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Am pondering the idea of becoming a mature student.

Have no leaving cert, is this a big deal?

Main question is is it too late to apply for this year for courses? Would I have to wait and apply next year for next September?

Thanks.

Comments

For most places, yeah it's too late. There are usually some 'vacant places' available when the points come out so you can usually apply to them as normal. But they're usually limited in number.

As for applying as a mature student, there's an interview usually and you don't need a Leaving Cert.

Have a look over the CAO's website, there's a few sections for mature students: http://www.cao.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

There are some vacant places open on CAO at the moment. Choice is very limited though. *cough Tipp Inst *cough* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You can of course apply as a mature student without the Leaving Certificate. But it will depend on what life experience you have that a college will offer you a place. The college need to be sure you will be able to cope with full time education and the amount of course work it involves.

I would strongly suggest doing an access course, which many universities offer. It will help bring you up to the level of whatever subject you want to do, get you back into the swing of studying and give you great support. Most are part time so you can continue working and also build up good work experience/voluntary work which may be needed to make your uni application stronger!

Returning to education is not an easy task. Learning to study correctly and time manage does take a while. Take advantage of any study skills classes on offer. They really do help.

I applied last year and didn't get a place on my chosen course so I did an access course in UCD. And I am very glad now I was turned down last year. I did my Leaving Cert 9 years ago and hadn't done any real amount of study since then. (This was the main reason I did not get a place!) Doing the access course has given me the confidence of returning to full time education - the study skills class was excellent and it has put me in the right mind set for a higher degree course. I think I would have been lost if I was offered the place last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Forky,

If you use the search tool on the forum you should be able to get some threads on information relevant to you - access courses etc.

Here's one I found which may be useful to you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055498617&highlight=science+access

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Here is my brothers story so i hope it helps.......Left school 1 month before the leaving cert in 1998.Went and got job as plumber.Got fully qualified and then hated it.All the time he was pondering sitting the leaving and was regretful he didnt.Last summer in august he said F this im applying for enginneering in CIT.He did so by first contacting course head in the college first and was then told what to do from there.I think he may have done something with CAO as well.He got in straight away and completed his year passing all exams....He studied a bit but that was mainly at maths as it wasnt his best subject....Its never too late to apply so go for it!He did and now he is going into his second year with alot done but more to do.He is 30 now.......

Best Of Luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Loving the help in here.

Thanks folks!

Advertisement