Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts please

Options
  • 20-07-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm not quite sure where I should post this but here goes.. I'm a skeptic of a lot of this stuff. I come from a science background and am in no way keen to have paranormal experiences..

However I have had at least two experiences in my life that despite my rational analysis I cannot explain..

I'll describe the 1st episode and won't bore you with the second..
    I shared a house in college in Cork with three other girls. really weird things started to happen, back door wide open when we got home, even though it was locked when we left, really loud noises upstairs at night, I thought it was burglars and kept my hockey stick by the bed.. So loud sometimes I couldn't sleep.. This went on and on.. Eventually with no burglars ( thank God), not the neighbours who thought we were making the noise and friends not wanting to stay over as all a bit freaky.

Eventually after a really bad night ( a skeptic friend who stayed in the worst room upstairs got up after feeling something get into bed with her and we sat up all night listening to really loud stamping and baning from upstairs)I spoke to an older friend with experience of this and he suggested not being afraid, accept something was there and move on.. It worked, the things still went on but it was a bit like having a cat.. It was just part of the house..

Now I accept a lot of the things that occured might have been hysteria, floorboards etc but one event was very tangible..

I was studying for exams in the room upstairs where most of the noise was centred and a friend in the room across the hall.. The door to this room had an old style turning door handle and the outside knob had gone and was replaced with the ring from a key ring It clicked very firmly closed and was hard to open from the outside as a result.. a bright sunny exam weather day with no wind.

I was sitting in a chair by the window sideways to the door at about 10am and the door suddenly burst open and banged hard against the side of the bed which was along the wall..
    My friend was still in the other room and I would have heard her leave that room .. She heard the noise and asked if I was alright from the other room..
    I cannot explain this other than something paranormal..So it leaves me pretty conflicted...

Two of the girls in the house were pretty unhappy that year, most of the events however occured when I was in the house on my own or had other friends over to stay.. I've never had an experience like it since and a friends girlfriend moved into the house the year after he didn't mention it to them and they had no problems.

I'd love to hear any theories..I don't really believe in an afterlife and the idea of a spirit wandering around the house opening doors seems surreal to me.. but these things happened and I'd love an explanation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Basically it just sounds as though someone is trying to attract your attention.
    Spirits do not need to open doors as their vibration is on a different frequency, so it looks to be deliberate.
    What was your feeling at the time? Peaceful, angry, resentful?
    Try to go back into the experience in your mind while sitting quietly and try to put the heavy surface/prominent feeling to one side.

Seems to be alot going on there and whats funny is one you get this into your head you start classing ovious things as paranormal . With regards to sounds in the house. Some houses are just loud . Plumbing especially can be bad is some places that it nearly shakes the whole house .

With regards doors being left open well somtimes this can be done with out even thinking about it. Or you might do it so often that you thought that the door was locked when it wasnt . Or even a landlord came in while you were gone and left it open.

With regards the girl thinking something got into bed with her, well i cant explain that one. Some people would go down the Sleep Paralysis rout but thats used way to often .

With regards the door opening we recently did an investigation in a Hostel that was believed to be haunted . We were in a room with other boards users . I asked out if there was somebody here please open the door. Just at as i said that the heat switched on which hit a floorboard and shoved the door. It was actually cool with perfect timing :) but not paranormal.
    However it seems this door was slammed open. Maybe try re-create it with opening windows ect...... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

The house had no central heating at all and no upstairs bathroom or plumbing either.. so I couldn't blame that.. Windows closed at the time.. I can't imagine what could have caused the door to burst open with such force like that..
    I've lived in creaky houses where the floor board settle and squeak at night but this was different.. It sounded like someone stamping around upstairs so loud that it would wake me up and not get back to sleep with it. And sometimes hours and hours of rythmical creaking but really loud like someone on a really squeaky rocking chair or pacing up and down.. That was the most annoying noise.. I got so tired and mad one night I actually shouted out loud for 'f**k sake shut up and it did'.. ( this was when I was on my own in the house)..Maybe plumbing noises from another house? Can that happen??
    I suppose I've tried really hard to explain it away and could except for the door thing..And other people heard the noise too, some who had no idea that anything was going on and were really frightened but didn't tell me anything until later..So I wasn't having hallucinations.. And my friend saw and heard the open door so that was real too.. I wasn't drunk or on drugs.
    I think the best I can come up with is that is was some sort of poltergist activity coming from one or two of the girls in the house.. I lost touch with her after so don't really know how things worked out for her but she wasn't very happy that year. The thing is the activity was at its worst when she wasn't there and wasn't there when we all moved out
    Has that kind of thing every been properly documented?
    Thanks for the opinions..

Advertisement