Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licencing laws - sporting events and concerts

Options
  • 20-07-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I have a little question for the more legally minded amongst us.

At croke park you can buy beer behind the stand but you cannot bring it to your seat.
    You have to sup your pint away from the actual event you are there to see!

Why is that?
    If beer is available at the ground then its not a crowd control issue. Its not an idioligal issue by some anti drink crowd as beer IS available inside the ground.
    i suspect its some legal craziness but does anyone know the exact reason?

At Slane you can watch the band with a pint.
    But in a Stadium like Croke park or Landsdowne somehow its deemed not acceptable.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's crowd control. Because you're away from the event you came to see you're not going to spend the whole time at the bar getting... difficult.

If you could bring your beer out, you could drink all the way through. You are therefore at greater risk of falling off something high or otherwise injuring yourself or someone else -- so there's public liability. It's probably easier for cleaning the venue if the shiny new stands aren't littered with plastic cups and spilled beer. And they don't want some idiot throwing liquid off a high stand into crowds below.

Lots of reasons, but I'd say public liability is the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes people throwing/spilling booze is a big one. If people were walking with pints it would spill on others and fights could break out. In the old point depot you could not bring drink to the seats/viewing area in later years. Also when smoking was still allowed you could not smoke in the stage area in the point, this was good since it stopped people getting burnt, and again the risk of drunken fights.

All this is why hip flasks were invented ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You can drink at every concert and most football grounds around europe. You can drink at Leinster games at Donnybrook, it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

This may be wrong but I was told that one reason is simply the stadium in Croker isn't built for drinking i.e. constantly going to the bar and toilet breaks as there isn't enough room between seats without annoying everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jev/N wrote: »
    This may be wrong but I was told that one reason is simply the stadium in Croker isn't built for drinking i.e. constantly going to the bar and toilet breaks as there isn't enough room between seats without annoying everyone else
    Along with the hip flask you have to bring your "stadium pal" catheter.
    1202stadium.jpg
    http://www.stadiumpal.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

rubadub wrote: »
    Along with the hip flask you have to bring your "stadium pal" catheter.
    1202stadium.jpg
    http://www.stadiumpal.com/

That's horrific... but if you're going to go with one of those, might aswell get the Beer Belly or Wine Rack - http://www.thebeerbelly.com

You can drink in the RDS everywhere...

Advertisement