Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue dog

Options
  • 20-07-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

hi there.
    myself and my parents are thinking about rescuing a dog
    my concern is we have a westie already
    does anyone have experience of bringing a new dog into the family

ps my westie is not aggressive although quite spoilt by my parents and is not neutered(although not for the want of me trying)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My advice would be to introduce the guys to each other on neutral ground, ie at the rescue center, park, beach etc.. Let them become friends then take the rescue dog home with the Westie.

If you bring the rescue dog straight into the Westies home I'd be concerned that your Westie will very quickly become territorial and fur will fly!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

good advice thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

+1 to what Makikomi said.
    Also....I really would advise that the Westie be neutered before ye get another dog. What age is he?
    Westies are a confident and brave little breed, not normally submissive- he won't be long letting the newbie know that it's his house and his rules! And if he still has his kiwis then the teething stage of a adding a new dog is going to be all the more tense and difficult.
    Are your parents against the idea?

no its actually my mother who wants it. my dad and i are not fussed
    he's 2 and a half
    i want to neuter him cos of the facts but mam wants him to have a go first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

With so many westies coming into rescue? Get your mother to have a look here http://www.westierescue.ie/ Actually get her to give Maureen a ring and have a chat to her, she's very good and might change your mothers mind. Is she willing to be responsible for all his offspring and their offspring and so on and so on?? Because if she brings pups into this world then that's the bottom line really. Probably easier for her as she won't actually have to deal with the puppies but that doesn't mean she shouldn't think about it. As for her dog, is he show standard, has she shown him? Is she going to just let anyone use him?

I can also tell you that reputable rescues will not rehome a dog to a home where there is an unneutered dog already so where is she planning to get this dog and if it's from a pound or a private source will she have it neutered/spayed?

If you and your Dad aren't fussed then I'd get her to reconsider, all family members should be enthusiastic about getting a new dog. And she really needs to rethink this 'have a go' business, too many dogs put to sleep in Ireland each year for that kind of nonsense.

• Advertisement

:mad:
    Toulouse wrote: »
    With so many westies coming into rescue? Get your mother to have a look here http://www.westierescue.ie/ Actually get her to give Maureen a ring and have a chat to her, she's very good and might change your mothers mind. Is she willing to be responsible for all his offspring and their offspring and so on and so on?? Because if she brings pups into this world then that's the bottom line really. Probably easier for her as she won't actually have to deal with the puppies but that doesn't mean she shouldn't think about it. As for her dog, is he show standard, has she shown him? Is she going to just let anyone use him?

I can also tell you that reputable rescues will not rehome a dog to a home where there is an unneutered dog already so where is she planning to get this dog and if it's from a pound or a private source will she have it neutered/spayed?

ok firstly i never said we wanted another westie
    secondly i never said we wanted to breed because i didnt say we wanted a bitch.
    obviously both will be spayed/neutured
    oh and lastly it would help if u read the question properly
    If you and your Dad aren't fussed then I'd get her to reconsider, all family members should be enthusiastic about getting a new dog. And she really needs to rethink this 'have a go' business, too many dogs put to sleep in Ireland each year for that kind of nonsense.

Excuse me? I think you missed my point.

I wanted you to show your mother the other wesites in rescue to make her reconsider breeding her dog. Letting a dog 'have a go' is breeding! I didn't mean that that would be with the rescue dog.

There's really no need to be mad, I think you misunderstood my post.

ok fair enough call it quits eh?
    ur right it is its my bloody mother she thinks shes depriving him or something if hes not studded out which is ridicules

Well you know it and I know it which is why I think if you maybe show her some of the pics on that site and she can see that even dogs like westies get into horrible situations when they don't have good homes. If she can't guarantee good homes for his pups and their pups after then maybe she'll reconsider.

Advertisement