Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterhouse Belgian Beer Festival

Options
  • 20-07-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody been in the Porterhouse over the weekend for this?

Was in there on Saturday and tried most on the list. Really loved the St. Bernardus Wit Beer.
    Actually, is this available in any Off Licences?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anybody been in the Porterhouse over the weekend for this?
    Yep. I welcome the return of Chocolate Truffle Stout, however tenuously Belgian it may be.
    Actually, is this available in any Off Licences?
    Yeah, the like of Redmond's and DrinkStore have it. 33cl isn't the same as a proper half-litre bucket, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yep. I welcome the return of Chocolate Truffle Stout, however tenuously Belgian it may be.
    Yeah really like that too.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, the like of Redmond's and DrinkStore have it. 33cl isn't the same as a proper half-litre bucket, though.
    Ha yeah. Those glasses are epic. Although there must be another 100ml in them when they're filled to the top, which was the case with all the ones I got. A true recession buster!

According to the little blog they had on each beer the guy behind the St. B is the same guy that done Hoegaarden. It's defintiely similar but I think the St. B is slightly sweeter (in a good way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was in the Porterhouse Central on Friday night, and the posters advertising this only mentioned some Apple Beer and a Raspberry one.

Are there others on some list that I missed?

I'll be back in the PH on Saturday.

According to the little blog they had on each beer the guy behind the St. B is the same guy that done Hoegaarden. It's defintiely similar but I think the St. B is slightly sweeter (in a good way)
    Pierre Celis. He gets around: Celis White was the version he made when he lived in Texas, now also brewed in Belgium and available on draught at Sin É and Dice Bar in Dublin.
    Des wrote: »
    I was in the Porterhouse Central on Friday night, and the posters advertising this only mentioned some Apple Beer and a Raspberry one.
    Lesson: always look at the taps. Bar staff hate it, but f**k 'em, you're paying.
    Des wrote: »
    Are there others on some list that I missed?
    Karmaliet Tripel, St Bernardus Abt 12 (allegedly the same recipe as the legendary Westvleteren 12), and Chapeau Kriek are the other specials. I don't think there's a raspberry one, mind.

There were 7 Specials on the list that was on each table.

Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout 5% abv

Chapeau Kriek 3.5% abv
    This was a Lambic Beer flavoured with Cherries

St Bernardus Wit 5.5% abv

St Bernardus Abt 10% abv

Tripel Karmeliet 8% abv

Newton Apple 3.5% abv
    This was a Wheat Beer flavoured with Apples

Fruli 4.1% abv
    This was a White Beer flavoured with Strawberries

I didn't try the St Bernardus Abt & Tripel Karmeliet as I don't really like beers that have a high ABV but all the other ones that I tried I really liked.

• Advertisement

Früli is part of their permanent line-up.

It was on the list though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Went to PorterHouse Nth yesterday.

No list whatsoever on the table on what these beers were.(except the choc stout).

Mistakenly took a seat away from behind the taps and while ordered food, asked what Belgian beer there was.(instead of going to the taps and asking for the beer in name, i know i know, lesson learned :))

Staff member said there was only the Apple beer available for a fiver as they were near the end of the festival which i thought strange.
    Reverted to the lovely choc stout after that. Disappointed on the whole thing, especially the supposedly Belgian beer. Contrast it to the last festival where they had lists up on every table on what new beers were available.

Will have a look at Phse Central over weekend and defo look at taps when asking. Other than been armed with Bazmo's list, how is one to know which beer to order as per strength wise as there was no list on the tables? (its not even on their website unlike the forthcoming Hop Head!)

Wouldn't want to order a 10% St Bernardus Abt by mistake!! :)

The one in Temple Bar has lists all over the place. Just an A4 sheet in one of those plastic covers used in A4 folders, but it does the job.

Found the guy behind the bar very helpful, but it wasn't that busy, plus just before talking to me he seemed to have gotten lucky with some foreign chick so he was probably just in good form! :D

Mmmm. Porterhouse North, while great for a quiet pint of a Sunday afternoon, tends not to do best practice when it comes to special events like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

There was a list of the belgian beers on tap last weekend when in I was there. I ordered a Karmeliet first off, and got a half litre glass (by mistake I'm sure) for around €3. Happy days :D The Abt was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was in Porter House North for the first time last night.
    Asked about the Belgian Fest beers and was told there was only Newton's apple and some stout I couldn't catch the name of.

Found the place to be very 'slick superpub like', and the staff were rubbish when it came to knowing anything about or having an interest in beer.
    Not my kinda pub at all - I quite like the Temple Bar one, though - not been in the others.

Might be tempted back by the Aventinus at €5.50 a bottle, though!!:D

Alot of the staff at PH north seems to have been changed in recent months, maybe they are all newbies and not that experienced in that type of stuff.

They do good friendly service for food and beer, its just their knowledge of the special beers is lacking :) (bar the manager with the glasses)

Was in PH central yesterday. They were playing U2 vids on screen to get with the atmosphere of U2 fans everywhere, good atmosphere. Yes, they indeed had those A4 sheets of what Belgian beers were on sale.

Was rather shocked the prices of those fruity Belgian drinks, 5.40 a pint. How can they justify that for a 3.5% alco drink?

Having said that, the choc stout was at 4quid a pint, thats good value. Anyone any idea if the choc stout will become a regular feature from now on?

gurramok wrote: »
    Anyone any idea if the choc stout will become a regular feature from now on?
    It already is a regular feature: regular every March until about May. This mid-summer reappearance is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I was in the Porterhouse Temple Bar and they seemed to have everything on tap with a nice guide at every table. I just went with the St. Bernardus and it was fantastic. I'm gonna have to get myself a few bottles of that stuff.

Advertisement