Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home for Ducks

Options
  • 20-07-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I will be getting a few ducks soon and they will be in an enclosed run with house etc. I will be letting them out to forage in the garden, but how long should I have them enclosed so that they will recongnise their new home and not wander off if I let them out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

If you can, collect your new ducks & bring them home in the evening & then put them straight in their new house & shut them in for the night. The next day, just let them into the run, with access to their house,food, water. You will be able to judge from their behaviour if they are settling OK & then maybe let them out to free-range the next day or day after.

Just a word of caution - ducks are much more difficult to "herd" than hens, so try to avoid having to herd them into their house if you can. We find waiting until it is dark & using a torch the easist way! In my experience, ducks tend to stay out later than chickens :) & often don't go in until it is quite dark!

Enjoy your new ducks - what kind are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

Thanks for that! Im not sure which breed yet. No heavy breeds anyway. Im looking for a breed thats not too noisy, cant fly and would stay near enough to the house etc. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Campbells, Indian Runners, Aylesburys should all fit the bill. A look at the Omlet site might be useful:

http://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/guide.php?view=Ducks&cat=About Ducks

Advertisement