Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank McCourt has died aged 78

Options
  • 20-07-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

Sky News are reporting that Frank McCourt, author of Angela's Ashes has died aged 78, of Cancer.

No link as of yet.

What a man though.
    So controversial but I must admit I loved Angela's Ashes, whether it was fact or fiction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

RIP

It was reported in many of todays papers that he was on the way out, and he was expecting the worst in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

My condolescents to his family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

Aw God.. 78...Still young enough!!

Loved angelas ashes, and 'tis.

I hate when people say that AA portrays Ireland in a negative light... Sorry, but it was like that for alot of people, and to say that his novel was a disgrace to Ireland is to say that people who went through what the McCourt family did (fact or fiction - the fact is that the story was a reality for some) didn't really suffer, and sure Ireland's great and we don't have alcoholics, racists, anti-brits etc... :rolleyes:

RIP Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

have to say i agree with the obove post, i know for a fact limerick people didnt want to admit it was ture to life, it was when your man that used to run to RLO and has/d the bookshop in william st(cant even remeber his name - diso Dom is his brother if anyone can help me out) wrote the counter books - they were the books that were bull . He (cant even remeber his name) mentioned my own family in his books totally out of context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

the man whose name i could not remeber is gerry hannon - provided by after hours via video link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... I'm sure Frank, as a patient English teacher, understands and appreciates this builder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

RIP Frank. :(

Condolences to his daughter, wife, brothers and grandchildren.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sad news alright, a wonderful writer and storyteller. RIP.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    the man whose name i could not remeber is gerry hannon - provided by after hours via video link

I don't remember him buying a collection for UL's library. I don't know how his works have brought tourists to Limerick. He wasn't even a contemporary of McCourt's for the love of God. I don't know, maybe the Pulitzer prize judges had a chip on their shoulder against Hannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

T'IS Condolences builder but dont worry thats a bigger word then any used in Frank's books.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I only found out today that he was not born in Limerick. For some reason I always thought he was born here. Not that it makes any real difference as he lived his childhood in Limerick and would have seen plenty in his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Legend.
    RIP. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dpo

RIP.
    Nice piece in Saturday's Independent by Sam Smyth.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/my-amazing-friend-frank-mccourt-1828684.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

dpo wrote: »
    RIP.
    Nice piece in Saturday's Independent by Sam Smyth.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/my-amazing-friend-frank-mccourt-1828684.html

That is such a lovely article. Thanks for the link.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

RIP, I did enjoy Angeles Ashes even if it did make me cringe at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

RIP

What is what the dodgy spelling in articles relating to Frank McCourt's passing? Are these wierd ironic jokes about him being an English teacher or something?

Check out the Leader's treatment of the destination of his ashes. I'm pretty sure Malachy said 'guerilla' not 'gorilla'. Or does the journo know something we don't?
    Frank's ashes to return to Limerick

Published Date: 21 July 2009
    By Anne Sheridan

THE ashes of the late Frank McCourt will be divided between New York and Limerick to celebrate his relationship with both cities, his brother Malachy McCourt has confirmed.
    The remains of the author will be cremated and buried in New York in September, where a public ceremony will be held in Symphony Space, Broadway, to honour the Pulitzer Prize winner and much loved school-teacher of 30 years.

Some of his ashes will be buried in Roxbury, Connecticut, where he lived with his third wife, Ellen Frey, near their home.

However, Malachy McCourt, 77, said he intends to keep a portion of his ashes aside and bring him to Leamy's National School in Limerick, his brother's alma mater, possibly in October or November.

"Well, it was expected," he said of his brother's passing. "It was very peaceful and we were there, so that was good. We had plenty of time to say good-bye."

"I want to bring some of his ashes to Leamy's school - that's my intention. The old structure of Leamy's on Hartstonge Street is still there and I think it would move him mightily if we performed some type of gorilla movement and moved some of his ashes in there. He would be laughing mightily."

Frank McCourt once said he would like his ashes scattered over the River Shannon, but his brother said he was not aware of this proposal.

His said his brother died at around 3pm on Sunday in a hospice in New York, surrounded by his loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Has Gerry Hannon, his most vocal critic, said anything about his death?

• Advertisement
Advertisement