Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog got into trouble!

Options
  • 19-07-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

:(
    Hi,

My neighbour came to my home tonight at 6pm and she was furious.

She claims her rotweiller bitch was after being covered by my 8 month old GSD.

My dog was in the house all day but he did disappear around that time.

Anyway words were said and i complained back to her about her noisy dogs keeping me awake every night as they are locked in a pen almost 24/7 never walked etc.

Also 2 hours later i was going for my routine walk with my dog down the road and after 500m her husband tore by me in his van at high speed. He did a handbrake skid turn on the road and he jumped out roaring and bawling about me annoying his wife and she is 7 months pregnant. As he was saying this he took out a shotgun and he loaded it and shouting like a madman at the same time.

He said he was going ot shoot my dog and he put the barrell of the shotgun to my dogs side. I took out my camera phone and i tried ot take a picture but my fingers were to shakey from fear.

Anyway shortly after my mobile appearing he jumped back inot his van and tore off.

Later i reported it ot the local Guards and surpprise surprise none were avaiilable but got through ot a main station and they told me to contact my local Gardai tomorrow.

Anyway loads of issues but my immediate worry is my dog if he bolts ot the neighbours again i know he will be shot.

I urgently need to get a dog pen or something to keep my dog in. Any tips on a temporary solution at least as i am busy working tomorrow and dog will be here with my partner i would crack up and so would my kids if he gets shot as we love him dearly! :confused:

In relation ot the gun incident i am confident that matter will be dealt with by the Gardai as it happened in broad daylight on a public road outside some private houses.

I got an awfull shock don't think i'll sleep tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

holy fcuk:eek:
    you are telling me that you rang the police and told them that someone pulled a gun on you and they said they didnt have anyone available
    are ya windin me up or what ?????
    what part of ireland are you on ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Wow wow this guy threatened you with a GUN?? does he have a license? omg ok I know that bits not the focus of your post but dear GOD I'd have the gardai out to my house ASAP don't take any crap whatsoever, you're being threatened and this man has a gun! Keep ringing and insist someone comes out to you tonight.

As regards your dog, I'd keep him indoors for now, for his own safety until you can get this situation resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

That is an awful situation that you have gone through.
    What pair of neighbours! He sounds like a right creep and headcase,
    the gardi should have sent someone around to your house to talk to you about your mad neighbours. keep your dog as far away from them as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

The Garda on the phone asked me was the threat gone and i said ye.

He told me if there is any more hassle tonight to call them immediately and they woould come out immediately.

They are 11km away.

Yes he seems ot have lost his marbles. I pleaded with him to cop on i said is this a matter of life and death, I said cop on is it such a big deal that my dog absconded for ten minutes and entered his property.

Anyway i think he would have shot the dog only i got out my phone and tried ot photo him.

His da shot two of my dogs 10 years ago for entering his farmland. That time no 2nd chance was given to the dogs.

I'll never forget him staring at me and the dog and taking out the big gun and loading it.
    Very surreal.

Funny though this time he went ot take him out on a public road outside two private dwellings. He was beserk.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Jeez, that's unreal!!!:eek: What's wrong with the Gardai that they don't consider that incident a priority???

As for your situation- in your shoes I'd get your dog neutered for starters. Aside from the the problem with your neighbour, it's the right thing to do for your dog. If he has indeed covered one of the neighbour's bitches he'll be far more likely to try again and again now that he's had a taste of it.

If your neighbour has bitches in season she should be more responsible about preventing access to them by dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Also 2 hours later i was going for my routine walk with my dog down the road and after 500m her husband tore by me in his van at high speed. He did a handbrake skid turn on the road and he jumped out roaring and bawling about me annoying his wife and she is 7 months pregnant. As he was saying this he took out a shotgun and he loaded it and shouting like a madman at the same time.

He said he was going ot shoot my dog and he put the barrell of the shotgun to my dogs side. I took out my camera phone and i tried ot take a picture but my fingers were to shakey from fear.

^^^ I'm sorry but the least of your problems are your dog!!!

Someone screams and shouts at you and loads a shotgun in front of you and you are worried about your dog.?

Seriously, call the Gardaí and re-establish your priorities! :eek:

People should not have guns! End of........

I'd ring the Gardai again and insist someone comes out to talk to you and your neighbours. That type of behaviour is not on. What if in the middle of the night he decided to come after your dog?? I'm sorry I couldn't sleep knowing a neighbour had a gun and was waiting for an opportunity to kill my dog.

Ok so your dog got to theirs, it's not the end of the world once it can be sorted amicably. Your dog did no harm and as someone else said - if they have dogs in heat they should be aware any male dog in the vicinity will go through hell and high water to get to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Use of a licenced firearm to threaten you or your dog is not on. Call the cops again and if you get no joy ask to speak to the superintendent.

I am in Offaly 11km from Tulamore.

I have my gates locked and my dogs are staying inside in the house tonight.

My dogs were barking a few minutes ago as if someone was outside.

My other half will go mad if i go calling the Guards again i am just going to sit the night out and wait til tomorrow cant wait to see the Guards.

Once they take his gun off him i can relax.

For that to happen you will need to complain to the superintendent.

• Advertisement

I always thought it is cruel to restrain a dog and even keep it in a pen.

Any thoughts/advice how to keep my dog in confines of my property appreciated.

I had the radio fence before and idont really want them as my garden is huge.

I will book a job with the vet tomorrow in relation to castration.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

You could make him an indoor dog?
    Or build a pen....it doesn't have to be a small thing, 20 x 20 ft would be ample when he's outdoors... As long as he's brought out for his normal exercise of at least an hour a day, and plenty of time inside for company, then a large pen with a large kennel or a shed would be fine for overnight or when you're not home....

It's their job though, the Gardaí so I wouldn't be worried about 11km
    You say your dogs think there is someone outside. That'd be enough for me to call them back.
    As Bond said - if you don't make this a big issue they won't do anything about him/his gun.
    Any thoughts/advice how to keep my dog in confines of my property appreciated.
    I will book a job with the vet tomorrow in relation to castration.
    Can you get high fencing all around your property? Also you could have a pen too as a way to keep him in when noones at home.
    Regarding neutering your dog, yes a good idea, but they hold responsibility too IMO, having a b*tch in heat that can be accessed by another dog.
    And by the sounds of this guy, if your dog got onto his property or in his way, neutered or not, he'd take a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

Partly his fault too for not keeping his bitches in heat in a secure place. Probably the best move to get your dog fixed and get better fences in garden. But jeez Total other story regarding the shotgun! Hope it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Riordan123

I am in Offaly 11km from Tulamore.

I have my gates locked and my dogs are staying inside in the house tonight.

My other half will go mad if i go calling the Guards again i am just going to sit the night out and wait til tomorrow cant wait to see the Guards.

That would be enough for me to call back the gaurds, and tell them bring the relevent paper work to seize a gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I think this seems to be new policy of rural Gardai, not bothering to attend an incident as one would reasonably expect especially if it relates to an area that they are not directly in, until the next day.
    i've heard it from a few people recently.

you REALLY need to call them and insist that they come out to you. Tell them that tomorrow is not acceptable and if they do not come out in the next hour you will be taking the matter further.

This is a serious matter and you need to make sure that it is dealt with to your satisfaction. Regardless of whether it's "just a dog" that he threatened, he had a gun in his hand while shouting at you.

Definitly get your dog castrated!

I hope everything works out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi,In relation ot the gun incident i am confident that matter will be dealt with by the Gardai as it happened in broad daylight on a public road outside some private houses.

My experience of dealing with AGS wouldn't embode me with confidence at all, keep on their case but don't expect too much action from them.

In relation to to the rest of your post, sounds like an awfully upsetting experience - but its important you make sure the guards follow this up otherwise this might become a regular occurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

OP, I'm very sorry you had a traumatic experience with a man with a shotgun who appears to have an extremely short fuse.

However, if you don't keep Harry Potter the amazing apparating dog...
    My dog was in the house all day but he did disappear around that time.

...under better control, it may be the Gardai themselves that take the dog off you and kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

OK the neighbour is lunatic and the guards need to seize his weapon, which they will do, as the laws surrounding gun ownership are very strict.
    However on your responsibilities in owning the dog, you are in the wrong. I grew up in the country, and nearly every farmer will shoot any dog on their land and they are entitled to do so. You MUST control your dog and the only effective ways are, a pen, high walls or electronic fences. End of story. If the dog gets shot whilst on your neighbours land, it is your fault. Sorry but those are the rules, and I'm not a farmer, just someone who grew up beside them, and knows the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Holy **** im really sorry to hear about your experience keep getting onto the guards dont let it go.

Im just curious as to what your partner done when he heard about this because i know if it was me that had found out my partner was threatened in anyway id have been straight across to this guy to sort this out as i would imagine many other guys would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Why are you wasting time calling the gaurds? Why don't you just drive to the nearest station (I know it's 11 km away but this is a serious situation) and make a formal complaint.
    Give them everything you can on the neighbour, i.e. name, address, car registration, etc. Tell them exactly what happened.
    Getting your dog neutered will guaruntee that there won't be any "accidents" but it won't stop your dog mounting completely and what may just be dominance can be misinterpreted.
    As for not believing in keeping dogs locked up, well, what would you prefer, your dog alive and well in a dog run or shot dead on your neighbours land?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Think about this "A man pulls a gun, loads the wapon and then threatens to discharge the weapon on a public road and the gardai dont react" Go straight to the top, under no circumstances should you let this go. This man is unfit to be in charge of a weapon. I know of no reason why anyone would brandish a loaded weapon. The chances of the gun going of accidently are high. For the Gardai not to respond straight away is lazy and highly irresponsible and unfortunatly not suprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

If i were in your shoes I would definetely be getting the gardai to do more.

Pens are not cruel -where it is not possible to fence in an entire garden they are a useful and necessary means of keeping your dog under control and in your case keeping your dog safe.

Your neighbour should also keep his dogs under control but in fairness dogs being dogs, will find each other when in heat.

If you were worried about your dog while you get a pen sorted I would put him into kennels for a bit - might take some of the heat, no pun intended, out of the situation as well.
    Also when you get your pen - put a lock on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mel123

it all seems very weird. i dont mean to rub salt into the wounds either, but would you seriously leave ur dog outside now on its own, fence or no fence? i wouldnt give the lunatic neighbour a chance to go anything, and if ur at work all day and anything happens to your dog, you will have no proof that he did anything...not saying he defo will.
    the whole situation it totally OTT, its crazy. now in fairness, if it was my dog that it happened to, i would be really mad, espicially their dog is only a puppy and a pregnancy would be very bad for her (if it happened) but whipping out a gun it totally crazy. would it be out of the question to call in and resolve the situation to put your mind at ease -obviously not on your own :) even on neutral ground somewhere....even the gardai might act as mediators??

Just a quick update as i am in a big hurry.

I booked in a castration fo rnext week with the vet.

I calle dinto the Guards today and they seemed very easy going about it all and asked me did i just want them to have a word. I said no i want the full process to be carried out so i made a statement and they waid they will be in touch with me later.

I had no neighbours for a decade and he is my only immediate neighbour as area is very rural.

Up until he built a house the area was quiet and so peacefull. IThats all a distant memory now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

This man is unfit to be in charge of a weapon.
    The chances of the gun going of accidently are high.

Absolutely. His license needs to be revoked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Nevermind revoking his license, he needs to be locked up. Thats abusive and threatening behaviour to say the least, attempted murder at worst. You NEVER do sh1t like that with weapons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I calle dinto the Guards today and they seemed very easy going about it all and asked me did i just want them to have a word. I said no i want the full process to be carried out so i made a statement and they waid they will be in touch with me later.

Ok, talking with the benefit (unfortunetly) of experience with AGS you'll have to keep on top of them.

Next time you ring up be prepared for;

"Sorry Gda Blogs is (either) on leave & won't be back for two weeks, out sick, try again later, he's on the late shift (you ring back) sorry he's just left, he was on earlies etc" - they've a hundred ways of pawning us off.

Bare it in mind that your in a rural location with a crazy neighbour who has scared the wits out of you and threatened to kill your dog, you reallly have to keep on top of this for your own safety.

When it has to do with firearms the district superintendent is only officer that can remove a firearm from a holder of a firearms certificate. You really need to speak to him/her as a matter of urgency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 buildingahome

Holy cr*p, what if one of the kids balls went into is garden, would he threaten to blow their heads off too?? God help you. Don't take it lightly with the Guards, plague them till they fix it.

Re: Fencing. We have two rather large dogs and after 1st escape over the low fence, we wired it off the mains. It took about two attempted escapes over the lowest part of the fence which is only 3 ft high and they never tried it again. We don't need the fencer on anymore now. It was a pain with kids in the garden for a while, but all these things take time. I am terrified that a farmer will shoot them if he sees them in their field or they get run over on the main road. It's worth it for their safety and by the sounds of it, for you and your family's safety.

Advertisement