Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi's and not collecting fares

Options
  • 19-07-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I don't own a car and my beloved moped is out of action at the minute.

So when I'm struggling with my 20kg sportsbag of shopping and prefer not to put up with the messing of the local bus, I sometimes order a taxi

"Hey there, I'm outside Lidl in x location, can you you take me to y location.
    "Sorry sir, we don't pick up outside shopping centres or other public locations, you'll walk off before our driver gets there."
    "But I won't, I weighed down with shopping here, I'm offering you business here."
    "Sorry sir, that's our policy."
    "There is an estate across the road, what if I stand outside the house and give an residental address?"
    "Sorry sir, that's our policy."
    "Grand, I'll call someone else" Don't know anyone else though......

Hurray, National Radio Cabs advertising as the largest company in Dublin.
    If you work as a shop assistant or go shopping at the weekend then **** you, walk home!

Oh the rants I've read in the forum about taxi drivers struggling for fares and their companies turn away business :mad:
    Do taxi drivers want our business or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I can see their point of view I guess. They need some sort of service where you can give your Laser / CC details on the phone as a deposit or something.

Could also try asking the shop to call for you (although Lidl .. not sure how they are in terms of Customer Service?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some shops have a freephone to the local taxi company.
    I've not seen it in my local shops.

I think you need an account before they will let you pay a fare with a credit card.

And don't mind me even, I can struggle home.
    What if you're a teenage shop assistant and want a taxi home? Nobody want's your business and you walk home?
    Office workers ok, shop assistants not ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

In a lot of shops they'll have a notice board where there'll be a couple of business cards of local taxis, they'll probably be more likely to come for you than the bigger firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

the local cab place in finglas has a deal with superquinn all local drops for 5e

i'm surprised more shops don't set up something similar

but i can understand it form the taxi company point of view they drive there and theres a good chance your gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

mikemac wrote: »
    Oh the rants I've read in the forum about taxi drivers struggling for fares and their companies turn away business :mad:
    Do taxi drivers want our business or not?

Is the Lidl beside a public road? Could you not just hail one down as it passes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Local firms will take calls from supermarkets, shops etc. Citywide companies tend to avoid this work as they dont always have a car in that area at the time and it may take a little longer to arrive. Most people have a tendancy to just jump into the first available car, so if a taxi dropping off arrives they will jump in.
    This is frustrating for both the driver and the operator.

Advertisement