Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***BREAKING NEWS***

Options
  • 19-07-2009 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

IRELAND NOT SUCH A RIP OFF!!!!

Ireland has lost its rip off title after an EU survey found it was more affordable and competitive than some of its neighbours. Skip related content
    The European Consumer Centre (ECC) carried out a price comparison survey on clothes and cosmetics for men and women in chain stores across 29 European countries.
    It found Irish consumers should shop around at home and away and not just buy all their goods across the border. The ECC said results showed Ireland, although slightly more expensive than the European average, is far cheaper than the Scandinavian countries.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Clothes and cosmetics? So it's only cheaper if you're a metro or a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

fake survey imo
    they just want us to go out and spend more.........what a rip off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Cheaper than the Scandinavians with their excellent healthcare, transport and social welfare. Woooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

btw this survey was done in england, not ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Hold up everybody....no more cross border shopping....we're cheaper than Scandanavian countries.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah but Scandinavian women are way hotter than Irish women. I'd happily pay more for that pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Way to over react OP.

Thought someone had been assassinated...not going to say who though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

orestes wrote: »
    Clothes and cosmetics? So it's only cheaper if you're a metro or a woman?

Cos real men don't wear clothes of course

TheZohan wrote: »
    Way to over react OP.

Thought someone had been assassinated...not going to say who though...

haha, the only reason i did this was because when someone says "oh the price of cigarettes in spain are cheaper than in ireland" someone always goes "breaking news, ireland in rip off shocker"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Pretty sure its not clothes and cosmetics that make us expsensive, its things like petrol/cigs/alcohol/property etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I thought this was going to be about Michael Jackson being found dead.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It's true though, Scandinavian countries are ridiculously expensive.

But they do have an excellent healthcare system etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Morzadec wrote: »
    Cos real men don't wear clothes of course

You have them made out of tweed and thistles, none of that fancy store bought muck

galwayrush wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about Michael Jackson being found dead.:rolleyes:

thats news to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Bull****.

Food and drinks are still WAY overpriced and petrol prices are still rising.

K4t wrote: »
    Bull****.

True, and at the same time, garages / filling stations and shops are closing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Petrol fell at my local Tesco by 5 cent in the last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mink_man wrote: »

Yea???

We pay up to 27pc more for food than rest of EU.

Ireland is second most expensive!

PRICES in Ireland are higher than almost everywhere else in Europe, an official new study has revealed.
    Ireland was the second most expensive country in the European Union in 2008, with only Danish consumers paying more for a range of everyday items.
    Irish consumers continue to pay through the nose for everything from food to hotel rooms to public transport, the Eurostat study reveals. But the argument that prices here are higher simply because it costs more to do business here does not ring true, because some goods are cheaper to buy here than the European average.
    However, overall prices in Ireland are 27pc higher than the average paid in Europe, and nearly three times dearer than the cheapest East European countries. Only Denmark was dearer with prices there 41pc above the EU norm.
    When it came to food, the survey of prices for items such as bread, milk, meat, fish, cheese, eggs, vegetables and other daily staples showed Irish consumers also paid 27pc more than the European average, with Danish prices again outstripping ours, and prices in British supermarkets over 20pc cheaper.
    For alcohol and tobacco, Ireland was "by far the most expensive country in the EU at a staggering 84pc above the average"
    , the European Commission noted.
    Prices for these products showed the greatest variation across Europe which was mainly due to large differences in taxation, Eurostat said. Hotel and restaurant prices were 37pc above average in Ireland which does not bode well for the hard-pressed tourism sector.
    Electricity and gas prices here were 14pc above average, cars were 25pc dearer, furniture was 11pc higher and consumer electronics such as TVs and computers were 11pc dearer.
    Transport costs including bus, rail and airfares were 15pc above average in Ireland, while communication costs such as post and phone charges were 1pc higher.
    But it wasn't all bad news.
    Clothes in Ireland were 9pc cheaper than the rest of Europe, while shoes were 5pc cheaper and household appliances such as fridges and cookers were 4pc cheaper.
    The Eurostat figures show Irish people are still paying "way more than what is reasonable" for many items, said Consumers Association of Ireland Chief Executive Dermott Jewell.

Complaints
    "I'm so tired of hearing non-stop complaints about the difficulties of doing business here, and then you see some retailers can manage to sell things at a reasonable price even though they face the same overheads. Some businesses have set about cutting prices to a reasonable level, others will have to follow if they want to get shoppers back," he said.
    IBEC's retail chief said it was clear from the survey that products that were predominantly made in Ireland were more expensive, whereas things like clothes and electrical gadgets that had to be imported were cheaper. "The highest prices are predominantly for things that are produced locally, such as food and alcohol, and that reflects the huge labour costs involved in making them," said IBEC's Retail Ireland Director Torlach Denihan.
    "I would never recommend buying imported goods to save money, but until we set about reducing labour costs and the general high costs of doing business and producing goods here, there is always going to be a differential," he said.
    High taxes and excise on products such as cars and alcohol obviously also had a huge part to play, he said, while there were genuinely higher retail costs for food, including refrigeration and rapid distribution.

Go spin that Fianna Fail propaganda elsewhere! Cheeper my ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rsl

Cheaper! Dont be ridiculous? This gov wants us to slash more money here, with their unreal survey? They seem to come up with briliant solution to keep the economy, about time!!

rsl wrote: »
    Cheaper! Dont be ridiculous? This gov wants us to slash more money here, with their unreal survey? They seem to come up with briliant solution to keep the economy, about time!!

Of course, the less we pay, the less they can steal in VAT.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

K4t wrote: »
    Bull****.

So true.

I was in a hotel a couple of weeks ago and I was going to order a sandwich from service. A ham and cheese toasted sandwich. Fifteen f*cking seventy five. I sh*t you not.
    I sent himself down to the bar to bring it back to the room and it was five seventy five. They wanted a tenner to have it in the room!!

Five seventy five is still a ridiculous price for two slices of toast, a slice of cheese and ham and a few stale crisps.

Lesson learned, next time, bring my own munchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

mink_man wrote: »

Ireland has lost its rip off title...

It found Irish consumers should shop around at home and away and not just buy all their goods across the border.

Smells of brown envelopes filled with desperation to me...

Advertisement