Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcam hacked?

Options
  • 19-07-2009 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi im running a dell with windows vista 32bit with a built in webcam. Lately ive noticed that whenever i boot up the laptop the light that shows the camera is on flashes. Paranoid as this sounds could this mean that someone has hacked into my camera?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

No, that's normal. Windows is detecting it as hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 25 theirish

This can actually happen… a Trojan can install along with a key logger which records all key strokes including passwords. The majority of the do it yourself Trojan makers include a facility to switch on and view the “Victim” . My advice would be to always have a good malware scanner.

Of course this maybe just the computer picking up the hardware….

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

If it's just as you're booting up you're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Ok. Well im using Avast free edition, not great but compatible with comodo firewall which hopefully is keeping my laptop safe from hackers. That said acting somewhat paranoid, ive physically blocked the camera lens with blue tack so even if on the camera cant see me .. i like my privacy :D

Advertisement