Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodturning lathe chuck - looking for some cheap options

Options
  • 19-07-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

Back story, long ago I used to do a bit of woodturning and had a Myford Mystro and lots of accessories, financial circumstances and all that meant I had to sell it (got good money for it, almost as much as I paid, so no complaints there) and I've been wanting to get back to woodturning ever since. Current situation is that I have the time and the space but no money however I did manage to get a cheap second hand Record Power DML36 recently that will help me get through some of the scavinged timber I have built up over the last 5 years (lots of mahogony, walnut, cherry, oak, ash etc). Anyway I have everything I need for spindle turning (although a boring kit is on the list) but I really need some form of chuck for bowl turning, budget I have is about 100euros. I used to use a collet chuck identical to this but at over 200pounds its off the list, good as it maybe that chuck just isn't worth that money.

So here are my options so far....

Draper AWL40A at about 80pounds + 12.95 P&P seems a bit of a brute for a little DWL36 and has a min chuck expansion dia of 98mm.
    I am wondering if this chuck is similar to the as the Axminster Goliath

At a more reasonable size I found the Fox3500 also on eBay from the same people for 62 pounds and as yet unknown postage.

The Axminster Barracuda Chuck Set goes the opposite way on size, looks good and would be ideal apart from its really quite small but has lots of features for not much more than 100euros delivered.

..... any advice or other options welcome.

As you probably all know the Record Power DML series are all 1MT Head and Tail Stock with a 3/4inch x 16TPI headstock thread (aka 3/4 whitworth) so I'll be getting a suitable tap (ebay where else) and making my own glue chucks .

On the old Mystro I used to get away with roughing out square oak blocks 2-3inch thick and 20inch square to make large platters (was taking the piss a bit and working at the limit of the Mystro and well beyond any sort of common sence) but I can't imagine doing anything bigger than 12inches on the DML36 and starting off with slightly rounder stock.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi TTM,

I have an oldish record power collet chuck - will dig it out to get name of it etc - that you can have for a bottle of wine :D

It may just get you out of a bind until you decide which one you want.
    It is still in the orig Record Pwer box.

Will get name and thread size for ya first.

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Hi k

That would be great as I think it is exactly what I was looking for only to find Record have moved on. I'm sure its worth more than a bottle of wine (depends on vintage ;)) so PM me what you want for it and posting/pickup detials - I'm in Dungarvan. I would have bought something by now but was waiting for the end of the credit card month to get max credit before ordering. Can't imagine an older record chuck is anything other than 3/4 x16tpi?

Thanks

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Hi TTM, all record chucks were 3/4" x 16tpi, so you should have no problem with it fitting, - the newer record lathes (Nova Range) are bigger - 1 1/4" x 8tpi - have a good friend in Dungarvan that is a wood turner as well, if you want, can send him your contact details to get in touch - email me on whraitt@indigo.ie if you want me to do this for you.

Many thanks
    Stanley:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Stanirish wrote: »
    Hi TTM, all record chucks were 3/4" x 16tpi, so you should have no problem with it fitting, - the newer record lathes (Nova Range) are bigger - 1 1/4" x 8tpi - have a good friend in Dungarvan that is a wood turner as well, if you want, can send him your contact details to get in touch - email me on whraitt@indigo.ie if you want me to do this for you.

Many thanks
    Stanley:pac:

Thanks Stan but I think karltimber has me sorted and if not D&M tools in the UK can do me one of the old collet type systems the RP3000X for under 90 euro delivered.

Advertisement