Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do you get decision on higher education grant

Options
  • 19-07-2009 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi everyone
    I am applying for a grant for a postgraduate course as an independent mature student. I am inside the income limits for last year, the course is full time from an approved college and I believe I have all the required supporting documentation in order.

I am just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to process a grant application. I know the department of education has not announced the scheme yet and therefore the county council is not processing applications yet (and my local co co is not sending the forms out yet even). I ask this question because I will not be able to afford college without the grant and am in full time employment at present. If I resign my position and then don't get the grant, I am unemployed and also not able to go to college.

If anyone has any experience with this matter I would appreciate any information you could provide:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

They seem to be on ago slow this year - just got form from KKC on Friday and was told that there is no guarantee that they will process them before end of august = staff shortages was the excuse = leaves me up s**t creek for fees because I simply don't have 1600 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Miss_Moneypenny

Thanks for the reply. That is really s****y. I presume you mean you will have to pay half of the fees in September / August. If you don't have the letter from the co co at registration I think they split the total fee in half and treat you as though you had not got the grant. But you can then get a refund from the fees office when the grant comes through.
    If I even knew that I was going to get the grant for definate I would borrow the money to cover the 1st fee installment in September. What is scary is that it looks like I might have to gamble a bit with my job:eek:

Advertisement