Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long term dole, random communityh service?

• 19-07-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I know people say people should be paid for work by the state as opposed to just getting dole. That is probably unrealistic but how about this.
    If you are able bodied and on the dole for more than a year then at certain random times when signing on you should be given a community service job. Lets say a week cleaning the streets etc.

Now obviously only long term unemployed should have to do this. Personally I would rather see them full time employed by the state to get their dole but that is unworkable so this might be a solution.

I think if I was unable to actually get a job and on benefit that I would welcome a community service job to give me a week to do something rather than sit around.

This is only for long term unemployed and not short term or casual workers working 3/4 day weeks as a lot of people are these days.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

just like C.E then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is that not voluntary? This would be compulsory.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Saruman wrote: »
    Is that not voluntary? This would be compulsory.
    you can just see the bleeding heart liberals enjoying the word compulsory:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There are a multitude of reasons why compulsory community service wouldn't work.

The most important being that if work is important enough for someone to be doing for the government and their community, someone should be paid to do it, or else it should be voluntary.

If unemployed people are made to sweep streets, then that puts the street sweepers out of business and unemployed. So will the unemployed street sweepers then be forced to clean the streets for their dole? It all starts to resemble communism as well, which I don't have to tell you would be a complete disaster based on the calibre of politician we have here in Ireland.

I think there should be better supports for unemployed people who wish to undertake voluntary work in their community while unemployed, however. Particularly recently when even though people (such as myself) may be genuinely searching for work, they aren't getting a look in, and so voluntary work is a way of breaking up the monotony and keeping their skills sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Xiney wrote: »
    There are a multitude of reasons why compulsory community service wouldn't work.

The most important being that if work is important enough for someone to be doing for the government and their community, someone should be paid to do it, or else it should be voluntary.

If unemployed people are made to sweep streets, then that puts the street sweepers out of business and unemployed. So will the unemployed street sweepers then be forced to clean the streets for their dole? It all starts to resemble communism as well, which I don't have to tell you would be a complete disaster based on the calibre of politician we have here in Ireland.

I think there should be better supports for unemployed people who wish to undertake voluntary work in their community while unemployed, however. Particularly recently when even though people (such as myself) may be genuinely searching for work, they aren't getting a look in, and so voluntary work is a way of breaking up the monotony and keeping their skills sharp.

My very thoughts when I saw this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement