Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choosing a scope

Options
  • 18-07-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi all,

I am looking to buy a new scope and just wondering what people here

think would be a good scope and mount, must be equatorial mount,

celestron cge discontinued so thats out, pitty as this was what i was

going to buy, price range 5 to 6k, 11" tube

any thoughts let me know thanks :D

Comments

I'm assuming you want a Schmidt-Cassegrain or similar? You don't want a Dobsonian or another type of large reflector?

Off the top of my head (and these are just the two largest companies), how about a 12" Meade LX90 or a 12" LX200? Both come in well under your budget. Other than that, you could go for a Celestron CPC 1100. They all have motorised mounts that aren't equatorial, though. It's a pity the CGE series is discontinued alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 barr toco

sorry i should have been more spesific, it must be eqautorial, for astrophotography, cpc11" from what ive been reading would require wedge to make it more suitable for photography, now this is only what i have read, im currently using a celestron 6" sgt (eqautorial), my reason for changins is appeture now i can get an 11" on the same mount but i feel i could get a better mount, not that im knocking the one i have but im thinking for long term here, i am dissapointed in the cge been discontinued
    it looked very heavy and stable:mad:

Yah, you would need a wedge for any of the more modern U shaped computerised mounts.

Would it be possible to buy the mount that was used on the CGE series? You should email celestron to see. That way, I'm sure you could adapt either of the equivalent Meade and Celestron 11/12" scopes to fit it (I'm not sure about that, though).

Advertisement