Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike models that started off nice but are now tasteless.

Options
  • 18-07-2009 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at the pict of the new Suzuki SV prompted me to start this thread,

There was a lot of really smart looking bikes in the 90ies and early 00's that had real character, IE rounded edges, twin headlamps, foxeye styling and fairings that were unique and stood for that model as the models progressed to 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations their characters disappeared.

I think the current SV650 looks putrid compared to the original mark 1 To think that the 1000cc version of this machine is a replacement of the awesome looking TL1000 R. Honda also went down the toilet with the styling of the newer Blades.

My first Blade was a second generation RRV, I loved the curved lines of it at the time, shark gills on the tail piece imposing drilled out cockpit faring. Even back then I always wanted the Mark 1 but couldn't get my hands on a clean one at the time. The styling of the new model dose absolutely nothing for me.

SUZUKI%20TL1000R%20%202.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

As I said in another thread the design of new bikes is shocking the sport and street bikes with the droopy headlights and odd shaped exhausts give me a 00 zx6/9r please

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2002/09/03/bikepics-36765-full.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As I said in another thread the design of new bikes is shocking the sport and street bikes with the droopy headlights and odd shaped exhausts give me a 00 zx6/9r please

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2002/09/03/bikepics-36765-full.jpg
    Look at the new Blade, you can't even put on our own custom can FFS,

2009-honda-fireblade-cbr1000rr-photo.jpg

Yeah I saw one of those the other week absolutely shocking exhaust design.

Yeah I saw one of those the other week absolutely shocking exhaust design.
    And you are stuck with it unless you have serious cash.

And you are stuck with it unless you have serious cash.

The hell with that. I'd get meself a mint 04/05 model and have fun with the rest of the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Myself and my missus are big fans of the traditional shape bikes, twin shock, 2 into 2 or 4 into 2 pipes and a single head lamp.

As far as I'm concerned the last of the greats was the Yamaha XJR 1300 SP. I was very close to buying a new one when but was put off by the 4 into 2 exhaust.

All new naked bikes look shoite as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

IMO most modern sports bike look the same......a bit like modern cars..:rolleyes:

Sids Not wrote: »
    IMO most modern sports bike look the same......a bit like modern cars..:rolleyes:
    The could at least drop the name and give them new identities, At least Triumph keep the Bonnie some what like the original, the only thing I never liked on the new range was the kink in the pipe, clocks and rear lens but at least you can change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Jesus that SV is a horrible mix-mash of styles and shapes. Rotten looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I could disagree more with the statement that all modern sports bikes look the same.
    I'm not sure what the bike designers were smoking with the current crop but they are all so far removed from each other... even the japanese! ... the gsxr , blade, r1, zx10, 1198, rc8 all look as far from each other as it gets....

• Advertisement

I could disagree more with the statement that all modern sports bikes look the same.
    I'm not sure what the bike designers were smoking with the current crop but they are all so far removed from each other... even the japanese! ... the gsxr , blade, r1, zx10, 1198, rc8 all look as far from each other as it gets....

They all look "different" except they must be all designed by the same bloke using the same cad package, Ie pointed edges, drooping headlamp, pillion tail piece that looks as if its going to snap off and molded inbuilt can with no room for personal preferences.

suzuki_gsxr1000_09_01_opt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

...pillion tail piece that looks as if its going to snap off and molded inbuilt can with no room for personal preferences...

It's a race bike adapted slightly for the road, what do you expect? IMO you get exactly what you pay for.

If you want room for stuff buy a bimmer tourer, or if you want something that goes like the clapppers and isn't pointy, get a kwak 1400 like k-tric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

the new gsxr's are horrible looking. Delighted with my k2. The new ones look like they would snap if ya weighed more than a stone.

nereid wrote: »
    It's a race bike adapted slightly for the road, what do you expect? IMO you get exactly what you pay for.

If you want room for stuff buy a bimmer tourer, or if you want something that goes like the clapppers and isn't pointy, get a kwak 1400 like k-tric.
    I already have a race designed sports bike that goes like the clappers. It's 21 Years old and looks, sounds and feels like a real bike and not like something that's pulled out of a luckybag. :)
    seanybiker wrote: »
    the new gsxr's are horrible looking. Delighted with my k2. The new ones look like they would snap if ya weighed more than a stone.
    Good job your missus won't get up on the back of it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Good job your missus won't get up on the back of it.:D
    oi what ya saying bout me missus lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

seanybiker wrote: »
    oi what ya saying bout me missus lol.

He was calling yer missus fat, just in case you missed that :D

Advertisement