Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Class Driving Licence?

Options
  • 18-07-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

What class do you need on a driving licence to drive a Motorhome. I have a full Irish Driving Licence with Classes B and E+B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Class B allows you to drive motorhome up to 3.5 ton (gross), in effect most campervans you see around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

loobylou wrote: »
    Class B allows you to drive motorhome up to 3.5 ton (gross), in effect most campervans you see around.

careful about the pitfalls though

Many motorhomes are limited to 3.5 tons gross because of the licencing laws, but some of them shouldn't be be rights as they carry so much weight empty that as soon as you put some water, passengers and essentials in there, you're often way over the limit.

In some modern motorhomes even the brochure says that you're supposed to carry only minimal water while driving and only fill up once you reach your destination :rolleyes:

Around Ireland you'd have to be veery unlucky to run into a weight check, but on the continent they are quite common. If found grossly overweight, you could be prosecuted for driving without licence / insurance ...for minor weight disgressions they just let you unload by the side of the road, passengers flying home rather than driving are not unheard of.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jetgvc

Thanks Loobylou and Peasant; I will certainly bear in mind what you say Peasant, about the continent. As it happens, my husband has a licence that cover all vehicles, and I would only be a standby driver, but its good to know the legalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Having the driving licence will only cover you to the gross weight of the vehicle.

That is: Even if you have a licence to drive a 40t truck, if the GVW is 3500kg and you weigh 4000kg you will still be in bother

Advertisement