Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Schools in Longford

Options
  • 18-07-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a driving school / instructor in Longford Town? I was told the Longford School of Motoring is good, would anyone recommend that one?

Regards,
    Darren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Xylophonic wrote: »
    Hi,

Could anyone recommend a driving school / instructor in Longford Town? I was told the Longford School of Motoring is good, would anyone recommend that one?

Regards,
    Darren

re the driving school - your mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

If you mean Irish School of Motoring - Longford yeah that is good, I originally had lessons with Thompsons and changed. I had lessons coming up to my test and I found when I had a lesson with them I felt in no way hopeful of passing my test but the guy from Irish School of Motoring was much more encouraging and friendly. The lady instructor from Thompsons left my aunt it tears one day!! I would go with Irish School of Motoring if I were you, do not recommend Thompsons from my experience and also from the stories I've heard from my aunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

ISM is John Nolan, think he's gone independent now.
    I had lessons with him too and found him great, didn't pass my test first time :o not his fault I was a nervous wreck - hard to believe now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I found Thompsons very good.Yer wan is a bit of a weapon though.You certainly learn from your mistakes with her.

• Advertisement

Thompsons are a disgrace. You might learn to drive around Longford properly....thanks to being incessantly barked at.
    But imo you'll be a better driver if you go somewhere they actually try to teach you.

I passed with Ollie Brady, found his instruction to be excellent. That is where I'm sending my nearest and dearest.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

I know someone who cried because of the attitude of the Thompsons, good school but not for the faint hearted,

I found Hynes Quinn very good, I had my car test with them in 2000, passed first time, I had the C truck with them in 2004, passed first time, I had the EC arctic with them in Longford and Mullingar, passed first time, I done the Minibus in March, passed first time, they have good instructors and are very obliging will do lessons any time, early morning or late at night doesnt matter, just my 2 c worth:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Thompsons are a shower of whoores and ladymen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bill

I have found Hynes Quinn to be excellent. They are extremely accomodating and flexible in giving lessons outside of office hours. I have recently completed a course of Bus Driving Lessons and I found the instructor Noel was very patient and knowledgeable in all areas....probably the best driving school in the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭baldbear

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Thompsons are a shower of whoores and ladymen

Interesting, Ladymen working as driving instructors! Did you say during your lesson "Excuse me Miss is that a spare gear stick i see.":D

I used Hynes myself back in 2005. They were good. I had a woman with short cut hair, she was a top instructor.

I'd say lessons are pricey feckers these days. They were about €23 back in my day.

I'd say Bill has shares in Hynes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Bill wrote: »
    I have found Hynes Quinn to be excellent. They are extremely accomodating and flexible in giving lessons outside of office hours. I have recently completed a course of Bus Driving Lessons and I found the instructor Noel was very patient and knowledgeable in all areas....probably the best driving school in the Midlands.

Self praise is no praise.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Keeping her lit

Hey,

If you are looking for Driving lessons in longford, I would highly recommend Hynes Quinn, their instructors are very good. I did my car test with them in 2001, my rigid with them in 2004, and my artic and coach in athone 2004.

I am driving every day on the road and I found the lessons very practical, I got great encouragement from James and JP in Longford and when it came to the Artic and coach Noel was very helpful and gave me lots of useful tips not just for the test but for driving everyday!

I will be doing my CPC course soon and I will have no hesitation in using Hynes, I think they use the Shannon Keywest Hotel.

I would have no problem sending any member of my family or friends to them. Keep up the Good Work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

martin r does driving lessons, hes cheap, he has a red fiesta van..hes not safe tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

that martin red is a scam, do not go near him. i beg of you

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kaninhop

I had a very bad experience with Ollie Brady. I took a lesson with him a few weeks ago. I have had about 15 lessons in Dublin, yet the first thing this sweaty creep said to me when I got into the car was that he had decided already whether was was able to drive or not.. The misogynistic clap-trap did not finish there either: He slagged off Hynes and Thompsons.. I did not want to commit to any more lessons with him explaining I could not because I was going to the UK for a job interview the next day, then he announced that I would not get that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kaninhop wrote: »
    I had a very bad experience with Ollie Brady. I took a lesson with him a few weeks ago. I have had about 15 lessons in Dublin, yet the first thing this sweaty creep said to me when I got into the car was that he had decided already whether was was able to drive or not.. The misogynistic clap-trap did not finish there either: He slagged off Hynes and Thompsons.. I did not want to commit to any more lessons with him explaining I could not because I was going to the UK for a job interview the next day, then he announced that I would not get that job.

well did you get the job? :pac:

i used them all in longford. found hynes to scare the crap out of you.
    "when's your test?"
    'two months'
    'oh crap, better book you in for a lesson everyday for a couple of weeks, and 4 more before your test, with 2 hours the morning of it.'

passed in cork with an instructor who took me out once and said there was no point in any more as they'd only make me nervous.
    i used ollie too. just the once mind! ;)

no I didn't get the job.. But I have been back in London for 2 more interviews since..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rogorose

Im doing lessons with ABLE driving school, Dave who does the lessons is very patient, calm and encouraging, he was a driving examiner in Longford years past and is very knowledgeable of a test routes, €20 an hour. My sister and many other friends have passed their driving test with him first time. good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I found Thompsons really good, but I think it depends on the instructor you get. I had Martin initially and then I decided to get private lessons, not with Thompsons, just with Martin, because I didn't want to be changing instructors all the time.

maguic24 wrote: »
    I found Thompsons really good, but I think it depends on the instructor you get. I had Martin initially and then I decided to get private lessons, not with Thompsons, just with Martin, because I didn't want to be changing instructors all the time.

And just for the record, I passed my test after two months of lessons, and it was my first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Would recommend Thompsons found them very good and passed first time round. They bring you the exact routes that the driving test will take you. Would highly recommend them.

I just had a lesson this morning with Martin Malone from Thompson's Driving school. He was really great, we got along fine. We drove all around town, out some by-passes and it was a breeze. :)
    Thompsons are a very professional outfit, in my opinion..
    I am a female learner driver, already had about 10 lessons in Dublin and am continuing after a few years break..

kaninhop wrote: »
    I just had a lesson this morning with Martin Malone from Thompson's Driving school. He was really great, we got along fine. We drove all around town, out some by-passes and it was a breeze. :)
    Thompsons are a very professional outfit, in my opinion..
    I am a female learner driver, already had about 10 lessons in Dublin and am continuing after a few years break..

Yeah, I had the same guy, Martin Maloney! Very good instructor, if I was going for Thompsons, I would definitely recommend asking for Martin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andylowry

just passed my test, would reccommend micheal regan (ism) very good at explaining and showing where you'r going wrong,easy to get on with,very patient observing and easy to talk to ,if you want to pass first time like myself check him out ,you won't be sorry,be driving before you know it (:-)

satisfied!!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

I had previously failed my test on two occasions before going for instruction with Mariead in Thompsons . She put me at ease straight away and helped me gain the self confidence that I needed. With only 3 weeks of lessons I have now passed my test and am trilled.
    Ask for Mariead and you can't go wrong.... FANTASTIC

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Another recommendation for ABLE Driving.

Have my test in about a month and no way I would be able to do it without Daves help.

Sister passed 1st time after lessons.

Cant recommend highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

http://www.coyledrivingschool.ie/

Anyone know what they're like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nity

Had my test today and passes first time round :) had lessons with John Nolan. He is such a nice man and excellent instructor. He is so calm and thats really helps. You dont need someone telling you your gonna fail ect.. So glad I got him would really recommend him :)

nity wrote: »
    Had my test today and passes first time round :) had lessons with John Nolan. He is such a nice man and excellent instructor. He is so calm and thats really helps. You dont need someone telling you your gonna fail ect.. So glad I got him would really recommend him :)

Was that with Coyle driving school?

Is that Longford also?

• Advertisement

Anyone know what Regans are like?

Advertisement