Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aileens

Options
  • 18-07-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

How do i find Aileens? Not trying to commit suicide, just want to see this wave i hear so much about. Anything that would go into my GPS would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Hi User1,
    North of lehinch near the cliffs of moher. There is a map of surfing spots in the sticky section here.

The map.

Good hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Drive past the Cliffs of Moher visitor's centre & car park (heading toward Doolin).

When you pass the centre the road starts to go downhill.

At the bottom of the hill there is a real bad bend to the right. On this turn there is a small little road of to the right at this turn. This is a good place to park.

Across the road from this junction is a steel gate. Hop this gate and head down through the fields in the direction of the cliffs.

If I were you I'd perhaps walk about 200-300 metres along the path/road that the steel gate is on before you begin to head down toward the cliffs.

As you get closer toward the spot there is a sort of a V shape into the cliff stay to the right.

Hope this helps. Sorry no GPS co-ordinates.
    Hope its going off when you get there! really need to see someone out there to really appreciate the size of it. There was a couple of lads out on their guns when we were there last... some size..

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Before people start putting directions on the web, it is important to note that this access is across private land. Loctite, are you aware of some agreement with the owners of the land for access across it?

This is also a dangerous cliff edge, particularly in the wet.

Before people start putting directions on the web, it is important to note that this access is across private land. Loctite, are you aware of some agreement with the owners of the land for access across it?

This is also a dangerous cliff edge, particularly in the wet.

I have no idea of any agreement.... I just know that that is where everybody views it from and the last time I was there there was a big soil ditch/fence so, the viewing area is not on the Dangerous cliff edge....

It maybe on private land but them is the directions, access to a hoop load of irish surf locations are through private land across Ireland, and I do believe some of them are all posted on the surfing forum also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

It maybe on private land but them is the directions, access to a hoop load of irish surf locations are through private land across Ireland, and I do believe some of them are all posted on the surfing forum also...

Just 'cause the directions to a spot is posted on an internet forum does not mean that access to or across private land is granted by the owner.
    Many people access private land/property without the owner's permission.

In some cases with people trying to access a surf spot damage to the property has been caused.

Some surfers, traveling surfers in particular, seem to care little in regard to this issues and in some places where this has gotten the back up of the landowner its the local surfers that has gotten hassled.

• Advertisement

I'd say that none of the surf breaks on the sticky state whether access is through private or public areas.

Agree that some surfer do damage property, but you can't blame all for the actions of but a few and I certainly wouldn't blame travelling surfers for it. There are plenty of locals who damage and litter private property.

TBH I don't care whether I have to access private land to get to a surf break. It is not trespass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Whether or not it's trespassing is irrelevant, it's important to know when you're entering private property.
    Many breaks have had access closed off, rightly or wrongly, because of too many surfers accessing the breaks through private property. It can and does create tension between landowners and surfers so it's very important to be aware of, the last thing surfers want is access to a break closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I am wary that we appear to be heading off topic, but it is important in this case as directions are being given which includes trespassing on someone else's property.

In this instance, you can view the wave from public areas at the Cliffs of Moher centre, albeit a bit further away.

Loctite, just because none of the spots noted on the contentious sticky give details of whether private lands or not, should not be seen as an invitation to trespass. In fact, it should be seen as a reason to review its posting, but that is another day's story.

As to your statement that it is not a dangerous cliff edge, I hope you are comfortable sending people down there, I am not and would stand by my comment that the area is dangerous, particularly in the wet.

I am wary that we appear to be heading off topic, but it is important in this case as directions are being given which includes trespassing on someone else's property.

In this instance, you can view the wave from public areas at the Cliffs of Moher centre, albeit a bit further away.

Loctite, just because none of the spots noted on the contentious sticky give details of whether private lands or not, should not be seen as an invitation to trespass. In fact, it should be seen as a reason to review its posting, but that is another day's story.

As to your statement that it is not a dangerous cliff edge, I hope you are comfortable sending people down there, I am not and would stand by my comment that the area is dangerous, particularly in the wet.

Firstly, if you knew there was no agreement from the land owner then why didn't you state it?

Second, I couldn't care less if the sticky of surfing locations is a contentious issue. Waves are for everyone (IMO) and I will always inform someone of the lesser known breaks (by word of mouth or otherwise) around where I live, regardless of crossing private property or not.

Thirdly, crossing private property to engage in an outdoor activity does not constitute trespass, it is classified as a recreational user (look up the Occupier's Liability Act).

And Yes, I do feel comfortable telling someone the location. It is safe, I have been there on a number of occasions.

The OP asked a question, I answered. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

loctite wrote: »
    Hop this gate and head...

This should be a clue to any normal person that they are entering private property.

Just because the directions say 'trespass on private property' doesn't mean you should not go there, nor does it mean 'go there and destroy all around you'. They are directions plain and simple.
    Common sense should prevail: If you see an angry looking farmer polishing a shotgun...Don't hop his gate! :pac:

Good advice about the wet though. The area is hella dangerous in the wet, and even in strong winds. Be careful.

I remember a time when the cliffs didn't have a fence and people could walk right up to the edge in stormy weather...

• Advertisement
Advertisement