Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo etiquette - tipping

Options
  • 18-07-2009 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, just wanted to ask a quick question on the subject of tipping. Im going to get a half sleeve started in two weeks and have been reading tattoo sites in anticipation
    I came across the subject of tipping, most sites were American so i was curious how tipping is viewed in Ireland, particularly Dublin

Do i tip?
    If so, howmuch?
    After the first session or when the piece is complete?

Thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Jaysis, its so expensive to get done I didn't give a tip! I suppose if its not the owner you might wanna tip, but I'm not sure if people do this or not. I never have anyway.

Its like anything - if you are happy with the service, you tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Well I mean if it's going to be a big piece (IE lots of time and money) the cost of it alone is going to factor.

But if the artist goes above and beyond and does an immaculate job then I'd say tip. Depending on the price of the overall work.

As said before, it's like any service. You get a good one then you feel like giving them a bit extra.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Something I wrote on another thread on this subject:
    I dont think it should be an automatic courtesy afforded to the artist by the customer. If you tip everybody, everytime, all you end up doing is rewarding mediocrity along with the genuine people who make the extra effort and who deserve it.
    For instance, if I were to go to a tattoo artist with a design, he/she takes the design, stencils it, and tattoos it on without incident or issue, I dont necessarily think thats deserving of tipping. The artist did the job as requested.
    However if the artist makes the effort to advise on colour, placement, maybe suggesting other elements to include for a more rounded or better tattoo, then I think that is worthy of tipping.
    Sounds fair to me.

Here's a link to the thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055515039

Advertisement