Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog crying constantly!

Options
  • 18-07-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys im new here and need some help. My dog of about ten months old wont stop cryin. Now its a rescue so i dont know what breeds is in him. He looks like a cross between a retriever and red setter only in black. Some sort of gun dog anyway about size of a setter. When i approach his run, he wil start crying really loud. Now i mean really loud. And wont stop. Even when i bring him for a walk its the same. Constantly this winging. Not as loud as before. But constantly, all the time. I think it is some sort of confidance thing. As if i sit down or anything he's constantly wingin and trying to get on top of me. He is not a lonely dog so this is not it! I nearly cant walk him in public places he is gettin so bad. Help please, please. Ps to point out he is not afraid of other dogs or people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hmm - did you speak to the place you got him from? ask was he like this in their care too?
    Do you think he's afraid of something? You say when you're walking over to him he cries?
    Have you brought him to the vet to be checked out anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elcikirl

No havn said anything to them. When my boyfriend first got him he was very shy. He just lay on the floor and didnt make a sound. This started when he got confident. He dosnt cry out of fear, its more like excitement. He comes running to the door the run. Wen out its the same, he yelps and cries etc. This is with his tail wagging full blast and running around. He just cries non stop. I thought it was the lead but when i let him off its the same story. Is there any way to came him down. Or is this somethin we'l have to stick wit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hmm... yeah it could be excitement and it might pass as he becomes more comfortable.
    found this
    If you can determine the cause of the barking, you should allow it for a reasonable amount of time. Lowering the level of excitement usually lowers the bark reflex, and you usually can control this. When you wish to quiet the dog, change the cause of his excitement to a more calming activity. As soon as the barking lessens, praise the dog with "Good, quiet." In the case of frustration, lessen his barking by alleviating the dogs frustration or removing the dog from the cause of his frustration.

So maybe try this? when you're coming up to his run and he gets excited, slow down stop even, when he lessens tell him he's a good boy and move forward. Or in other situations like that, stop, calm him, praise him. Might help?

edit - found this too which might be useful?
    http://www.paws.com.au/NewDog/NewDog.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AK3

I actually saw an episode of the Dog Whisperer where there was a dog that was constantly crying and as far as I can recall it turned out that he was a hunting breed and needed to 'hunt' in order to be happy and stop howling so they used to exercise him by laying a 'scent trail' for him to follow. It maybe that your dog has working genes in him? It might be worth checking out the Dog Whisperer (Cesar Milan) website? Another possibilty might be separation anxiety as from your post it seems your dog is on his own? We have two dogs and if you leave one on their own, they cry constantly so it maybe that you dog is one of those breeds who are prone to separation anxiety?It might be worth checking out the Dog Whisperer (Cesar Milan) website for advice / tips?

Advertisement