Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Cheap Dell XP PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Handy but a couple of things:
    * 512MB RAM - Not ideal for XP.
    * CD Drive - not even a DVD drive?
    * 40GB hard drive - not terriffic

I guess it's cheap but not too great IMO.

--> not knocking your BA .. just saying :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Specs look kinda old though.. suppose it would do for the ol pair for internet browsing an i guess it doens't come with a monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Probably a 5 year old PC that some company dumped. The spec is even very low for this model when it was new.

You will probably have hard disk trouble as they would be 5-6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It's one thing if it was a new PC with new components, but it is clearly some company's old refuse that has found its way onto Pixmania. I'd say I'm surprised that it even found its way onto that site, but Pixmania never surprise me anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Small form factor PC, might make a nice cheap HTPC for the TV, for watching DVDs or video files. Would probably need a graphics card though for TV out. And it would be important to know the model - there were GX270s and GX280 that had used bad batches of capacitors on the motherboards. GX260s were grand though, I'm still using a few right now, but I got them for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There a few of those Dell Computers on the pixmania site. Better specced comps available on www.computerbargains.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yeah I really like these. It's an old, standard spec Optiplex. These babies are built like tanks and can go on for years. It's a good price, although you might find one for free in your local recycling centre. The CD drive makes it perfect to load your favourite Linux, that will work fine with this low spec PC. These are also fairly quite, with small footprint, so ideal for home/file server, or media player/storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

killswitch wrote: »
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3237261/art/dell/optiplex-desktop-computer.html

Comes to €113 with shipping...not too bad at all

Theat isn't cheap! You should check out Littlewoods! They have had some unreal deals as of late! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thats a terrible deal, for 113 last year I got me a Dell Vostro 200 with a 2.4GHz Pentium Dual core(Aka core2 duo with 2mb less cache), 2GB of memory and a 250GB hdd and it was new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

* 512MB RAM - Not ideal for XP (One of two slots).
    * CD Drive - not even a DVD drive? (laptop drive)
    * 40GB hard drive - not terriffic (slow slow slow)

Its a slimline form factor, so you don't have a lot of options if you need to upgrade it. We "dumped" a couple of hundred recently (260, 270 and 280s AFAIK), and tbh I would think them best avoided. I suffered one for 5 years as a development machine (miserable bankers :D) - my EEEbox is faster.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 roadwars

Thats a terrible deal, for 113 last year I got me a Dell Vostro 200 with a 2.4GHz Pentium Dual core(Aka core2 duo with 2mb less cache), 2GB of memory and a 250GB hdd and it was new.

Where did you get that at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

roadwars wrote: »
    Where did you get that at that price?
    Direct from Dell, Dell.ie

Special offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

aaaarrrggggghhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

dazberry wrote: »
    Its a slimline form factor, so you don't have a lot of options if you need to upgrade it. We "dumped" a couple of hundred recently (260, 270 and 280s AFAIK), and tbh I would think them best avoided. I suffered one for 5 years as a development machine (miserable bankers :D) - my EEEbox is faster.

D.
    My media center is an ex bank 270. Needs more ram but lovely and quiet. Fine for that but not much opportunity to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

polyfusion wrote: »
    might make a nice cheap HTPC for the TV, for watching DVDs or video files.
    Not going to be decoding anything too intense on those specs. Certainly nothing HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Rsaeire wrote: »
    It's one thing if it was a new PC with new components, but it is clearly some company's old refuse that has found its way onto Pixmania. I'd say I'm surprised that it even found its way onto that site, but Pixmania never surprise me anymore.

It's not being sold "by Pixmania" but by a Market Seller through them

"Used product sold by CompuZone"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeez I had 20 of these for €50 a pop for sale a while back.. should have upped the price.. :D

Advertisement