Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train Fares From Clonmel Station, Really That Cheap??

Options
  • 17-07-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all, I can't seem to find any info about the train fares from clonmel train station.
    I was wondering if anyone knew how much it was to get a return ticket for Waterford, because my friend said it was 3 euro, but isn't that a little cheap? I'm not sure whether it's right or not...

..can anyone help?

:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sorry I can't help you with the fare but I took the train from Waterford to Clonmel about 2 years ago and I can assure you that it wasn't anything like €3.

The bus is €6.30 so wouldn't it be more expensive that that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 connie00

Have a look on http://irishrail.ie you can put in your journeys and dates and get a price for most trips

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

connie00 wrote: »
    Have a look on http://irishrail.ie you can put in your journeys and dates and get a price for most trips

Doesn't work for Clonmel-Waterford though it seems. You're asked to use the form to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

I heard it was 7euro or something like that. You should ring them and ask. It's def cheaper than the price they give for dublin return-112 no less!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hi all, I can't seem to find any info about the train fares from clonmel train station.
    I was wondering if anyone knew how much it was to get a return ticket for Waterford, because my friend said it was 3 euro, but isn't that a little cheap? I'm not sure whether it's right or not...

..can anyone help?

:pac:

3 Euro's seems way too cheap. They charge crazy prices, would imagine it to be around 10ish?

Don't really dealy with Irish Rail, prefer Bus Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

The last time I travelled from Tipp Town to Waterford by train was about three years ago and i was charged €5.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

just a quick hint for anyone getting the train from clonmel to dublin. my gf was getting the train up to dublin from clonmel via limerick juntion and she waited till she got on the the train at clonmel to buy the ticket. the guy selling the tickets on the train sold her a waterford to dublin ticket as it was nearly half the price as a clonmel to dublin one. the idea behind it wa that you get the train to from waterford to limerick junction and then up to dublin from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Last time i went from clonmel to waterford it was 8 euro student return i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

MonsterMob wrote: »
    just a quick hint for anyone getting the train from clonmel to dublin. my gf was getting the train up to dublin from clonmel via limerick juntion and she waited till she got on the the train at clonmel to buy the ticket. the guy selling the tickets on the train sold her a waterford to dublin ticket as it was nearly half the price as a clonmel to dublin one. the idea behind it wa that you get the train to from waterford to limerick junction and then up to dublin from there.

I don't understand you tbh. Why would you go from Waterford all the way to Limerick Junction and change train there. Would have thought that would be adding a good hour and half to the trip in the wrong direction :confused:

MonsterMob wrote: »

Did your girlfriend go from Clonmel to Limerick Junction then to Dublin? or Clonmel to Waterford to LJ to Dublin?

I know it's cheaper to go to Waterford but agreeing with mfitzy, it seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to Dublin on a Waterford ticket from Clonmel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

it seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to Dublin on a Waterford ticket from Clonmel!

But she was going from Clonmel anyway. See?

The waterford ticket is cheaper, presumably only on that route, so it makes sense to pretend to have gone the longer distance.

But she was going from Clonmel anyway. See?

Yes but she has to add a longer leg to the journey if she must go by Waterford, that's what I'm saying although I get your pretend idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 axel-offbeat

Me and my friends are always heading down to Waterford on the train, some get on at Clonmel.Its 5.90 for an adult return or 3 euro for a childs return, same for a single!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Yes but she has to add a longer leg to the journey if she must go by Waterford, that's what I'm saying although I get your pretend idea.

She got on at Clonmel. Read MonsterMob's post again. She went nowhere near Waterford, but tickets are cheaper from Waterford-Dublin than Clonmel-Dublin.

Me and my friends are always heading down to Waterford on the train, some get on at Clonmel.Its 5.90 for an adult return or 3 euro for a childs return, same for a single!

There's your answer OP?
    asdasd wrote: »
    She got on at Clonmel. Read MonsterMob's post again. She went nowhere near Waterford, but tickets are cheaper from Waterford-Dublin than Clonmel-Dublin.

Missed that. Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

sorry let me clarify. she wanted to go from clonmel to dublin via limerick junction. theoretically you can go from waterford to dublin by getting the train from waterford to limerick junction(which stops in clonmel) and then get the train from there to dublin instead of the main waterford to dublin line. the waterford to dublin ticket works on both of these lines so she was advised to but one of these by the ticket seller and take the waterford to limerick juntion train which as I said stops in clonmel.

Advertisement