Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google search and redirecting .com name...

Options
  • 17-07-2009 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Right, say I own "soccerproducts.com" but have it redirected to my main site at "soccergoalposts.com" - if someone typed in "soccer products" to google would my "soccerproducts.com" site be first on the list even though it is a redirect site?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Truss wrote: »
    Right, say I own "soccerproducts.com" but have it redirected to my main site at "soccergoalposts.com" - if someone typed in "soccer products" to google would my "soccerproducts.com" site be first on the list even though it is a redirect site?

Probably not but depends on your SEO abilities. Just because you own a domain like "soccerproducts.com" in no way means you will rank tops for the term "soccer products". Secondly redirecting the domain IF you did manage to get top position in no way guarantees it will stay in top position-more than likely it wont medium to long term. I stand to be corrected however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

301's don't always rank. Older (say older than 3-5 years) may - and I have a very good example of 10 that do...but generally speaking no. Think about it - all you'd have to do is build 1 site and register thousands of domain names - it would spam up the Google Index.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

dont re-direct. Put up a page, and iframe your main site, or something.
    Google doesn't like 301s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Google doesn't like 301s

I disagree. 301s are fine when used in the right manner.

Search engines have never liked iFrames, I wouldn't follow the above advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Google doesn't like 301s

That is patently untrue and there are Matt Cutt videos that disagree with that statement.

Firstly, Google isn't stupid - it can read into an iFrame and duplicate content is enough to warrant a severe penalty. Its just a matter of when - it could be 3 weeks, or 3 months.

Secondly, Google does honour 301 inbound links and anchor text, in most cases.

Thirdly, I would also be in favour of using the other domains with their own sites - a multiple domain name strategy is far superior to one - forgot the "brand is my domain name" idea - it doesn't work for online marketing when you're actually targeting people who aren't looking for a brand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement