Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFSC Commute

Options
  • 17-07-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi everyone,

I am fresh out of college and I am working in the IFSC in a few months. I just wanted to ask has anyone stories of luas, bus, dart to see which I like best. Are they all as bad as each other? I was thinking of living in Fairview, Drumcondra, IFSC, Clontarf area but to be honest dont have a clue of the area.

Any advice appreciated!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hi everyone,

I am fresh out of college and I am working in the IFSC in a few months. I just wanted to ask has anyone stories of luas, bus, dart to see which I like best. Are they all as bad as each other? I was thinking of living in Fairview, Drumcondra, IFSC, Clontarf area but to be honest dont have a clue of the area.

Where are you from? Any B.E bus brings you practically nextdoor. Or train to Heuston and Luas to Busaras. Commuting to Dublin much better than living.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 supergirl09

I'm from Cork, so will be moving up. I went to college in DCU but I dont really know any of the places besides Drumcondra!!

I think I am going to hate commuting :( dreading it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Dollymount/Clontarf + cycling would be my suggestion. Quicker than public transport, far less hassle, plus you've a segregated cycle track along Clontarf rd/Alfie Byrne road. Would take max 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

@ OP

Any bus that goes every few minutes down the Amiens Street will get you there. I used to work in the IFSC for last 2 years and from my place in Fairview it's about 25 minutes (walking) or 10-15 mins (bus=getting to the bus stop, waiting 2 mins for the bus and the journey itself). Certainly Fairview would be the best place to get the IFSC from.

Good luck anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hi everyone,

The IFSC has (in Irish terms) good transport links, so it's mainly a matter of where you want to live and what type of area. There's a lot of apartments in the Docklands area as well as the wider city centre where your commute could be walkable. Or as mentioned above cycling can be a good option.

Depending how long you want your commute to be the red line Luas gives easy access to areas like Smithfield, Stonybatter, Islandbridge etc, while the Dart opens up the areas along the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 supergirl09

Blowfish wrote: »
    Dollymount/Clontarf + cycling would be my suggestion. Quicker than public transport, far less hassle, plus you've a segregated cycle track along Clontarf rd/Alfie Byrne road. Would take max 15 minutes.

To be honest, I am not the cycling person at all lol. Thanks for the suggestion though :)
    monument wrote: »
    The IFSC has (in Irish terms) good transport links, so it's mainly a matter of where you want to live and what type of area. There's a lot of apartments in the Docklands area as well as the wider city centre where your commute could be walkable. Or as mentioned above cycling can be a good option..

Anyone have an idea on the appartments around IFSC, I know there dear, but I am thinking save on transport! Have they negatives?

I was thinking the dart or luas but heard so many stories about not being able to get on them in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sure why not live in the IFSC?
    Rent is pricy, how are your haggling skills?

Place is a bit of ghost-town at weekends but I wouldn't call that a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Aaron1

Anyone have an idea on the appartments around IFSC, I know there dear, but I am thinking save on transport! Have they negatives?

I was thinking the dart or luas but heard so many stories about not being able to get on them in the mornings.

The negatives that I would see are the area - It's not the safest and as mentioned before it's a ghost town in the evenings and weekends.

On the darts and luas - while some of the peaks trains are packed, they aren't as busy as a year or two. One other alternative would be Docklands Station to Ashtown or Castleknock. The frequency isn't as good as luas or DART, but there are seats on nearly all of the services and takes about 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rent in the City Centre and walk to work. You're starting from scratch, why would you want to commute?

Advertisement