Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI & dentists

Options
  • 17-07-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I read recently that if you pay PRSI you can get either tax back or some kind of discount on dental work.
    Is this true or does anyone know what I'm talking about!?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hi Feefers, welcome to boards.

More information here and here

In general, you cannot claim for routine dental expenses (fillings and the like). I'm open to correction, but if you pay PRSI and your teeth are in good order, you can get a clean once every six months and thats pretty much it.

Specific dental treatments that qualify for relief are listed here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

Yes PRSI dental benefit contributes to dental work. Basically, you get two cleanings a year, one exam a year, and they also contribute about 35 euro towards the cost of fillings.
    HOWEVER, if you are 25 or over, you must have been paying PRSI consistantly for five full years in order to qualify for treatment. You can ring up treatment benefits in Letterkenny to check if you are covered or not. Bear in mind that with An Bord Snip Nua's recommendation to cut PRSI dental benefit, this may no longer be applicable in a few months time if the government follows through with the recommendations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think an Board Snip are going to decemate the PRSI scheme....still awaiting clarification.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Got the letter Friday from Fintan H. in the IDA. Snip recommends abolishing DTBS and raising threshold for medical card. Accuse the professions of having historical veto over changes/expansions to schemes.

Anybody who knows anything about dentistry knows that getting rid of DTBS will decimate the profession. And also the second comment about obfuscation of schemes is beyond ridiculous and shows a serious lack of understanding about what has gone on in the past 10 years with the medical card scheme.

IMO the IMO is allowed do what they like, but the dentists, pharmacists and opticians get the two fingers any time any changes are suggested.

I'm so angry right now.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

Big_G wrote: »
    Got the letter Friday from Fintan H. in the IDA. Snip recommends abolishing DTBS and raising threshold for medical card. Accuse the professions of having historical veto over changes/expansions to schemes.

Anybody who knows anything about dentistry knows that getting rid of DTBS will decimate the profession. And also the second comment about obfuscation of schemes is beyond ridiculous and shows a serious lack of understanding about what has gone on in the past 10 years with the medical card scheme.

IMO the IMO is allowed do what they like, but the dentists, pharmacists and opticians get the two fingers any time any changes are suggested.

I'm so angry right now.:mad:

I hope you weren't referring to my comment....

As for the dentists, pharmacists etc getting the two fingers, I totally agree with you. Its a joke. I wonder will they also completely abolish the Med 2 tax relief claims...

• Advertisement
Advertisement