Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Search this Forum" not possible in Long Term Illness forum

Options
  • 17-07-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

I originally opened this in Helpdesk, but the apathy was deafening and also the helpful Tbh suggested to me that development would be a good place for something that appears to be a bug. Here goes.

As the title says. I am unable to search just the LTI forum. There is no "search forum" button in the forum title bar, just the Forum Tools button.

Also, when doing a standard search, the LTI forum doesn't show up in the list of forums in the bottom right part of the window.

This is only an issue when I'm logged in. When I log out, I can search the forum if I type in the captcha.

I emailed one of the LTI mods about it a while back, but he/she said that it was working for them and that I should clear out my browser cache etc. That didn't work but I didn't follow up on it then.

I met up one day with an IRL friend who was using boards. I got him to go to the forum too, while he was logged in, and I saw that the search forum button was missing for him too.

This isssue happens on any computer I log in with and with any browser. It's not a big deal to log out, but the fact that a mod can use it while logged in, and I can't, is strange. I've have need to search that forum for info several times before, and it didn't dawn on me for a long time that logging out fixed it.

Thanks for reading this guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Not a bug, would have been a choice by whomever created the forum, presumably with the council of some moderators at the time.

Ask the current moderators why this policy is in place if you wish to know, and they can get on to myself or Conor if they all think it should be searchable.

Thanks.

Ross, the search box is present for me, so I'm not sure if it was in the design of the forum not to have search available (I think that's what you meant).

I imagine it's limited to moderators and above, forum search can be restricted on a per usergroup basis, and this is employed frequently on sensitive forums.

Ross wrote: »
    I imagine it's limited to moderators and above, forum search can be restricted on a per usergroup basis, and this is employed frequently on sensitive forums.

That makes sense. I thought that might have been it for a second, but I didn't think that me being a mod would make a difference in other forums.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't think you read my post fully Ross. I said that Tbh (an LTI mod) tried to help me with the problem but that the steps I took didn't work. You can get in touch with him to check this. So I have already been in touch with a mod (IIRC tbh was a mod from when it first opened a year or two ago) and he had no prior knowledge of this. I've followed his suggestion to post the issue here.

If it turns out that it's not a bug anyway, I won't mind. I'm posting here because there was no response (apart from tbh contacting me) in Helpdesk.

And to reiterate, it doesn't show up for another user, whose account is less than 2 years old. I don't think it would be a good idea for me to create another account to test my hypothesis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hey guys - I don't remember anything being mentioned at the time of forum creation, I'd personally have no objections to changing the way it works, if indeed it's working as designed.

It's certainly working as designed, though possibly not as intended :)

Ive altered the settings now, if the other LTI mods have an objection please let me know, although I would recommend discussing amongst yourselves first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thanks for your help Ross and tbh.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement