Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buddhism and addiction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Yes, addictions are extreme forms of attachment, so whatever works to end attachments also works with addiction. People in AA forget that once sober there is still a lot of work to be done to overcome attachments, and Buddhists often forget that overcoming attachments can become the greatest attachment . That is why the Indian Mystic Osho came up with the idea of "Zorba the Buddha". He said a drunk is just stupid, and a Buddha is too serious and dry. So a jolly, "juicy", celebrating Buddha - a non-drunk drunk with full awareness - "drunk on the divine" as he called it - was his vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

It would seem to me that addiction is a great way of learning about attachment; not they I would wish this life on a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Had this very conversation with a friend of mine who runs a clinic recently. His take on it was that most addicts see things in black and white, life however is rarely like that though. An addict he say's sees problems in their life as being directly related to them, meditation he reckons helps you to let these "bad" things just pass and realise that they are not directly related to them. They are just things that happen. I tend to agree with him.

He suggested RIGPA as a good contact for learning more about it, and attends Dozchen Beara or whatever it's called. I seem to be surrounded by people who are into meditation. I've tried it myself on a number of occasions and even on my own it seems to end up in fits of giggles. Personally half an hour with a musical instrument in my hands empties my mind of everything.

I agree that sitting practice isn't for everyone; at least in the beginning. There are plenty of moving forms of meditation which give many of the same benefits of a more formal practice. There is even mindfulness training which you can do while going about your daily chores. There is also a method of dynamic meditation which they practice in Thailand which involves hand movements while in the sitting position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Buddhists often forget that overcoming attachments can become the greatest attachment.

That's a great quote. Thanks Mom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

I see this as an extremely interesting area of work, something that merits much serious study.

I see the article as a necessary first step for someone researching the topic.

I'd like, however, to see the author develop the study over the coming while.

My own experiences regarding addiction & Buddhism are primarily related to my (quite seriously) extreme cigarette addiction, something I escaped over a year ago... & while I was studying Zen/Buddhist works from Tibet, China, Vietnam & Japan during the many years of addiction, I must confess that the Beatles' song Tomorrow Never Knows as a focus & my eventual overcoming my addiction are deeply entwined.

I'm surprised that I'm so awkward revealing that it wasn't the Lotus Sutra, Foyan or Ikkyu... but John's voice & Ringo's drums that seemingly switched on my 'grand enlightenment' (enlightenment as coming out from under a weight).

That's the way it went, however.

Tomorrow never knows, eh. What a great story.

I really do believe that when the student is ready the teacher appears. This teacher might not have reached any level of enlightenment themselves, and there might not even have been that much sincerity behind what they have said, but it turns out to be the wisest thing ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Paulgar wrote: »
    Tomorrow never knows, eh. What a great story.

I really do believe that when the student is ready the teacher appears. This teacher might not have reached any level of enlightenment themselves, and there might not even have been that much sincerity behind what they have said, but it turns out to be the wisest thing ever.

Well, I take little enough seriously... even Zen*... but I do sincerely feel that this topic is of much importance... not only for any one person addicted, not only for that person's circle, but for all of us.

Helping one single person overcome their addiction is as pure a practice as I can see.

If I see things right, that's why or some of why you wrote that piece.

Well done.

*I'm on the side of the guys who say that overseriousness obstructs as much as anything else.

Thank you Kevin, I really do believe that Buddhism can help people with addiction. Problems do occur though, when people push it as a magic bullet that will cure all forms of addiction. No method seems to be able to do this.

The magic cure is being willing and ready to stop, this can only come from inside. I don't believe that you can benefit from Buddhism or any other treatment option unless you are ready to change. The words just won't get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Paulgar wrote: »
    The magic cure is being willing and ready to stop, this can only come from inside. I don't believe that you can benefit from Buddhism or any other treatment option unless you are ready to change. The words just won't get through.

Good point. From personal experience I gave up a very harmful addcition because I was ready to stop. But I have to say that it was Buddhism that prevented me returning to my drug of choice. Since then a number of what I thought were good friends have died from the same addiction. I am 100% confident that if I did not have Buddhism to help me, I would have gone back:)

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Good point. From personal experience I gave up a very harmful addcition because I was ready to stop. But I have to say that it was Buddhism that prevented me returning to my drug of choice. Since then a number of what I thought were good friends have died from the same addiction. I am 100% confident that if I did not have Buddhism to help me, I would have gone back:)

I agree with you 100%. I have had a lot of wonderful things happen to me in sobriety, but it would not in itself be enough to keep me sober. I really hate admitting this because one of the greatest gifts of my sobriety has been my son - my pride and joy - but I probably couldn't even stay sober for him. In my case it is my spiritual path that is keeping me sober. I am not trying to say that my path is any better than anyone else only that it certainly works for me.

Advertisement