Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The importance of exercise for those quitting the booze

Options
  • 17-07-2009 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Exercise and mediation has become a very important part of my recovery. During the first two years I let the exercise part of things slip a bit, but during the last year have really made more of an effort. I find that this exercise has really makes my life so much more enjoyable; although I accept that it is not enough to keep people sober by itself.

Meditation has also been an important part of my recover. I have a sitting practice and use Tai Chi as a another form of meditation. Here is an article about the benefits of Tai Chi practice for those with addictions; http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1934934/tai_chi_works_to_defeat_addictions.html?cat=50

What do you guys think. Is exercise and meditation an important part of recovery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I think they're both healthy choices for anybody

However some people may not like the gym/exercise in the height of possible withdrawal symptoms, and may dislike meditation, so choose a different relaxation method

Yoga would be a mix of the 2, and good as its done on a group class basis

different strokes!..

But congrats if it's helped you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

unreggd wrote: »
    I think they're both healthy choices for anybody

However some people may not like the gym/exercise in the hight of possible withdrawal symptoms, and may dislike meditation, so choose a different relaxation method

Yoga would be a mix of the 2, and good as its done on a group class basis

different strokes!..

But congrats if it's helped you :)

What you say makes sense. Whatever works for people. If they are staying sober then they are obviously doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

Ive been off the booze nearly two years, and the only thing I missed is the physical relaxation : The way it slows down you heart, relaxes your shoulders, and makes you feel sort of "Aaahhhh..." - which is not unlike the way you feel after a good workout.

All the other stuff about booze making you more sociable, wittier, more fun and better with the ladies/blokes, is obviously crap, but that part I find it hard to find a replacement for.

It seems that exercise does provide that very same release, as does good sex, sunshine (when you can get it) and my top tip - swimming in the freezing cold Irish Sea - gives me an endorphin rush that lasts for hours afterwards, a sort of gentle sleepiness and relaxation that one often associates with booze when its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Ive been off the booze nearly two years, and the only thing I missed is the physical relaxation : The way it slows down you heart, relaxes your shoulders, and makes you feel sort of "Aaahhhh..." - which is not unlike the way you feel after a good workout.

All the other stuff about booze making you more sociable, wittier, more fun and better with the ladies/blokes, is obviously crap, but that part I find it hard to find a replacement for.

It seems that exercise does provide that very same release, as does good sex, sunshine (when you can get it) and my top tip - swimming in the freezing cold Irish Sea - gives me an endorphin rush that lasts for hours afterwards, a sort of gentle sleepiness and relaxation that one often associates with booze when its good.

I'm with you there but coming from the opposite direction.
    I'm pretty active and if i feel restless from lack of exercise a drink goes part of the way to tiring me out.

And if you are looking to swap one high for another you can't beat a good endorphine rush. Like the gentle sleepiness of booze but without the heavyness and with a greater appreciation of all around you.

(don't know about the freezing irish sea though :p)

Advertisement