Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backlinks to a domain that was expired

Options
  • 17-07-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

I've just put together a website for someone who had one previously with the same domain name, but whoever was looking after it for him let the domain expire.

I've re-registered the domain, and if I google it I I get a dozen or so link from various service directories that were obviously there from when the site was up before.

Are these still useful, or does the fact that they were linking to a non-existent site for a while (don't know how long) mean that google will ignore them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Simply put:
    The value of links to a site are based on a percentage of their PageRank based on the relevance of the two.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm 99% sure that Google isn't too worried/too up to date on whether it was an "old" site and a "new site". PageRank and SERP's are based on an explicit domain name - so "mydomain.com" is not related to "mydomains.com" - so links to it are links to it - thats why Drop-Catching is such a big business (catching domains dropped by people - the more IBL's the better).

So it depends, as do all links, on what the relevance and what the value of them are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Can't but help IMO. However get the site up and running and do a backlinks check down the line and see if these "old links" show. Depending as link8r said on what their relevance is or not will be a determining factor.

Advertisement