Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT career choices

Options
  • 17-07-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,
    As i am goin into sixth year this september i am starting to think hard about my college course and career. I know that i want to go to Carlow IT because its not that far from where i live. but i am split between doing the software developement and engineering course or a graphical design course.

any help with what career choices there is with either of these would be great, and a brief review of that career would help

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

onzlo wrote: »
    Hi all,
    As i am goin into sixth year this september i am starting to think hard about my college course and career. I know that i want to go to Carlow IT because its not that far from where i live. but i am split between doing the software developement and engineering course or a graphical design course.

any help with what career choices there is with either of these would be great, and a brief review of that career would help

thanks!

Well i cant give you help with career choices but all i can say is steer clear of carraig abhainn. It's a joke. Even if it is only across the road from the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

whats carraig abhainn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Student accomodation. If you want to call it that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=318

probably better off asking here

and carraig abhainn is an estate with lots of student accomodation.. or maybe it's an estate with nothing but student accomodation.. I get the two estates opposite the college confused.

i dont think ill be needing that as its only a 15 - 20 min drive from where i am but thanks for the advice anyway

• Advertisement

thank for the advice the second 1 on the list was software development!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

yoi'll get better answers here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

huge difference in graphic design and software engineering, are you arty or logical?

If you're not artistic then graphic design will be alot harder, if you can't break stuff down into logical steps then software eng will be difficult. There'd be alot of coding in software engineering and for alot of people they don't realise the difficulty in this.

If i were you, i'll look at some very basic coding tutorials. just to see whats involved and maybe it will appeal to your more or maybe it'll push you towards graphic design.

In the end i'll repeat what i said first, if your arty, go for graphic design, if logical, software eng

i suppose it dosent help that im kind of both: when it come to art i like to express myself in my own styles and technique but im not sure if i would be able to transfer that to a computer unless it has some decent software and hardware (ie touch screen and stylus) and when it comes to logic i can be very serious with what im doing and can spend ages at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Think about where you think Jobs will be in 4 or 5 years time?

Graphic design is for the artistic the software is just a tool although I didn't do that course so can't say too much about it.

Software and Eng. I did for 3 years, I was great at programming in the first 2 years but thats was just Pascal and VB and tbh anyone could get the hang of that.

I choose to go the software route based on my programming results but I left it after 3 months, far too borring and slow for me and I didn't have the interest, I should have done the other choice.Its hard to know which suits you, I would recommend downloading some basic programming books and have a look some people take to it very easy some just never get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement