Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniels and the 'old days'

Options
  • 17-07-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

So what's the story with this? It's mentioned numerous times throughout the 5 series yet it's never really explained fully (iirc, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Considering the amount of times it was mentioned / refered to I would have thought there would have been some sort of explanation eventually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Irregularities in his personal accounts discovered from an IID investigation were mentioned by Burrell a few times, but beyond that... And in season 1 he mentions to his wife 'I have a history there...we had to do certain things... or something like that'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Its kind of implied that he stole money. I think someone said that years ago, during an investigation or raid or something, the full amount of money that should have been handed in by Daniels and the rest of his team never was, so Daniels was one of the ones investigated, but nothing came of it or they had no proof.

I think thats why he's so mad a Herc and Carver when he thinks they stole money.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Daniels supported himself through law school by hooking his tight ass on the waterfront. Prop Joe and he also did a pole dancing double act, which is why Prop Joe was never busted - He blackmailed Daniels with animal sex home movies.

Thats what I heard anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Max001 wrote: »
    Daniels supported himself through law school by hooking his tight ass on the waterfront. Prop Joe and he also did a pole dancing double act, which is why Prop Joe was never busted - He blackmailed Daniels with animal sex home movies.

Spoilers ffs! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Schism wrote: »
    So what's the story with this? It's mentioned numerous times throughout the 5 series yet it's never really explained fully (iirc, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Considering the amount of times it was mentioned / refered to I would have thought there would have been some sort of explanation eventually.

I don't think we needed a full explanation. Carver became the "new" Daniels in the end and we already saw his transition from a cop happy to pocket some drugs cash while on a raid to a conscientious cop by the end.

It's fair to surmise that Daniels was involved in similar shenanigans before he also decided to go straight.

It's one of the deleted scenes in the season five dvd - isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I don't think we needed a full explanation. Carver became the "new" Daniels in the end and we already saw his transition from a cop happy to pocket some drugs cash while on a raid to a conscientious cop by the end.

It's fair to surmise that Daniels was involved in similar shenanigans before he also decided to go straight.

Yeah it makes sense alright, but Daniels is portrayed as such a teetotaler it's hard to imagine him doing anything unsavoury at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

There's a code that you can enter in the DVD menu function that loads alternative story lines.....such as the one above. Not seen it myself, but a mate has the code and the DVD and if I get him drunk enough this w'end and I get the code I'll post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

In Season 5, Borrell shows Norice the FBI file and says that Daniels "came up in a bad drug unit that was skimming seized drug money"

So there it is.

Huh, now that I know what it was I feel underwhelmed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

In Season 5, Borrell shows Norice the FBI file and says that Daniels "came up in a bad drug unit that was skimming seized drug money"

So there it is.
    I think the Daniels story really shows how good the writing is in The Wire. It was early in Season 1 when McNultys FBI friend Fitzhugh told him that Daniels had been investigated as part of an Eastern District corruption probe, and Burrell took the case file and said it would be dealt with. The issue came up a couple of times in S1 (McNulty hinting at it to Daniels at one stage, Daniels talking about it with his wife, etc). But it was only in S5 when the writers used it again. Brilliant planning from the writers, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

I think the Daniels story really shows how good the writing is in The Wire. It was early in Season 1 when McNultys FBI friend Fitzhugh told him that Daniels had been investigated as part of an Eastern District corruption probe, and Burrell took the case file and said it would be dealt with. The issue came up a couple of times in S1 (McNulty hinting at it to Daniels at one stage, Daniels talking about it with his wife, etc). But it was only in S5 when the writers used it again. Brilliant planning from the writers, imo.

I thought they overdid that to be honest. It got mentioned so many times it got tiresome and nobody ever used it against Daniels.

lukin wrote: »
    I thought they overdid that to be honest. It got mentioned so many times it got tiresome and nobody ever used it against Daniels.

Yeah I felt the same, not in season 1 but definitely in season 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I like that you see the board with all the cut ties pinned to it, but don't get to see what that's all about until season 3 or 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Schism wrote: »
    Yeah I felt the same, not in season 1 but definitely in season 5.

Fair enough, lads. I can't say I felt it was overdone at all, but I'll look out for it a bit more the next time I watch S5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It was direectly used against him but it was his downfall...so they hardly overdid it.

Advertisement