Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CI Carioca 2000 Ducato

Options
  • 17-07-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking for advice on C.I. Carioca 2000 Ducato 1.9TDi. 5 berth. 45k mls. We know nothing about MH but are very keen to buy one, and have arranged to view this model. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With so many different makes and variants of motorhomes on the market, you will be hard pressed to find someone who's got the same one and will be able to give specific advice.

General things to look out for:

1) does the layout suit you ...is there a bed for everybody ...how much rummaging do you have to do until everybody is tucked in ...can you still get to the toilet during the night ...imagine two rainy days, is there enough room ... is the kitchen big enough ...etc, etc. This is very subjective and depends on what you want and who you are. Don't be shy ...lie on the beds, sit on the loo, squeeze into the shower ...does it actually work for you or just look as if it does?

2) functionality of the interior ...make sure all the appliances work, let someone demonstrate ...look at the state of the furniture, all hinges, handles, knobs present and correct ..look at the fabrics and colours, can you live with them. Fabrics can be changed but it does get expensive

3) structural integrity ...it is absolutely vital to make sure that the structre doesn't let in water ...if buying from a dealer, let them do a moistue test in front of your eyes ...also investigate yourself, check all nooks and crannies (especially around openings and near the bottom) foir moisture, dampness and/or soft walls (rot). A van may be dry now, but previous water ingress may still have caused damage and rot

4) the mechanical bits ...like buying any vehicle, if unsure bring a mechanic

One thing I would say about your specific vehicle...the 1.9 liter engine is a good engine, but in a heavy camper it will be working at (or over) the limit all the time. The 2.3/2.5/2.8 (depending on year) would be preferable. If you really like this van and want it despite the small engine, at least let the price reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

While I was looking around over the last 2 years I found that the CI's in general were of much poorer build quality than the German built models..

I'm not sure if this one has it but in some of the older CI's I looked at there is a seem all the way around the outside of the Motorhome in the middle. Check this everywhere as it is notorious for leaking.. If you push just below the seem it should not seperate..

the CI should be slightly cheaper than the german models as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jetgvc

Hi Peasant,

Thanks for your very detailed and helpful reply, especially the point about the small engine. We will keep all your points in mind when looking at the MH tomorrow and any other models we find.

jetgvc

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jetgvc

Hi MACSPOWER

Thanks for your reply and will keep a look out for any leaky seams.

jetgvc

Advertisement