Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp on net book

Options
  • 16-07-2009 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi guys, I really need help, My son has an Asus Eee PC with Linux I tried to change it to XP by following instructions on Youtube. I put the XP files on a USB stick but when I tried to install it it says <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. is missing or corrupt. Can anyone tell me how to do this as I'm sure many of you have done it sucessfully, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Now make sure your EEE pc is configured with USB as the primary boot device.
    Insert your USB drive and boot up the EEE.

On the startup menu you have two options, select option number 2 for text mode setup.

From this point on it is just like any other windows XP installation delete/recreate the primary partition on your EEE pc and format it using NTFS. Make sure you delete ALL partitions and recreate a single partition or you will get the hal.dll error message.

Once the text mode portion of setup is complete it will boot into the GUI mode (you can press enter after the reboot if your too excited to wait the 30 seconds)

Once the GUI portion of setup is complete you will again have to boot into GUI mode this will complete the XP installation and you will end up at you XP desktop. It is very important that you DO NOT REMOVE THE USB STICK before this point. Once you can see your start menu it is safe to remove the usb stick and reboot your pc to make sure everything worked.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement