Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southern Bypass Now on its way to be 120kph

Options
  • 16-07-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

The Southern bypass is now on its way to be a 120kph zone.

The blue motorways signs were being put in place today. The road is due to open at 120kph by the end of next week.

Nice :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Excellent..won't feel so bad hitting 180+ on the way to work then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Limerick to Ennis road will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

bazz26 wrote: »
    Limerick to Ennis road will be the same.

That I very much doubt. The Limerick to Ennis road is nowhere near motorway standard until after Shannon. Loads of houses around Cratloe have driveways opening directly onto the dual-carraigeway so no way can it be made a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ludo wrote: »
    That I very much doubt. The Limerick to Ennis road is nowhere near motorway standard until after Shannon. Loads of houses around Cratloe have driveways opening directly onto the dual-carraigeway so no way can it be made a motorway.

The N11 is also like this but at those sections it is reduced to 100kph.

Remember at Setrights. It was actually 50mph and was a good shooting barell for the Gardai. This was because you could still cross over the road into Cratloe. When they removed this the section was increased.

I was only driving back from Ennis tonight and when you are driving around Bunratty the car bounces over the bumps on that section.

They calculate if the roads are suitable by the amount of exits on them. See the Portaloise bypass, there are sections along here which have been closed off because the NRA felt that there were too many to be classed as a motorway.

By our own laws a motorway cannot have a roundabout BUT in the case of Ireland constantly bypassing laws they are not actually motorways but still classed as N(national roads) therefore bypassing the law. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Berty wrote: »
    The Southern link road is now on its way to be a 120kph zone.

The blue motorways signs were being put in place today. The road is due to open at 120kph by the end of next week.

Nice :D

Which one is the southern link road?

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »

Here you go:
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-national-roads-will-turn.5457431.jp

Which one is the southern link road?

The dual carriage way from Finagan's roundabout on the N7 out as far as the N20/N21 to Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

About time too!!

BTW If you learn any lesssons from the N25 in Cork then it is this:

Be aware of Learner drivers who can use this road until the name changes to an M road instead of an N because the small loophole says that until legally the road changes they can do 120kph like the rest of us and bearing in mind the driver test centre is in the Maldron hotel(i think its still there) then the ones who fail will hit the road and increase up to 120kph.

You gotta love this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Probably worth a topic on its own but I wouldnt pay too much attention to the Irish Driving test system. it is a total joke. Money making scam. I see some of the testers are targetted in the bord snip report. No sympathy here for these pricks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I was under the impression it wasn't coming into effect till the 28th of August, and you say next week? I hope your right all the same.

As for Limerick to Ennis, it will only be motorway speeds from Shannon on. The road leading up to that has houses on the side of it and many twists and turns and would not be up to motorway standard. It says it in the report that the Limerick-Shannon section wont be included (or more so that the Shannon to Ennis section will)

1huge1 wrote: »
    I was under the impression it wasn't coming into effect till the 28th of August, and you say next week? I hope your right all the same.

Officially, yes, but the roads I have been on like the N25 and the N11 are already motorway speeds although the are still called National roads(green signs) and have no blue signs anywhere.

Both of those roads were mentioned in the announcement but are already 120kph.

So as soon as the signs are up on the road then the road will be 120kph. You cannot expect them to have blue signs up(which they have) and tell people they were speeding doing 118kph because the road is not officially a motorway.

That would be deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I saw the new M20 blue signs at the Dooradoyle exit last Thursday. Is the N7 section from Rosbrien to Lisnagry getting Motorway status?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

And about time too!

Saw the blue signs today and I guessed as much!

Happy days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Ive noticed the small signs have been changed already to the blue ones and new supports have been put in the ground for the bigger ones. Only right it should be 120kph.

Officially, yes, but the roads I have been on like the N25 and the N11 are already motorway speeds although the are still called National roads(green signs) and have no blue signs anywhere.

Both of those roads were mentioned in the announcement but are already 120kph.

So as soon as the signs are up on the road then the road will be 120kph. You cannot expect them to have blue signs up(which they have) and tell people they were speeding doing 118kph because the road is not officially a motorway.

That would be deception.
    Good point, they couldn't possibly give you any hassle for that.

I looked back at a map of ireland in 2005 and the only blue roads on the road were generally around dublin and up to belfast northern ireland. Now the whole country is covered its great.

I passed along the M20 as it is now called but was careful to check the speed limit. Coming off the Dooradoyle exit heading south the speed is 100 and heading north into the roadworks it is still 50.

I have not seen a 120kph speed sign yet. Keeping my eyes peeled though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

From Rossbrien to Annacotty is the M7??

And From Adare to Rossbrien is the M20.

The Adare bypass route plans is nasty.

The N21 intersects with the N20 prependicular at a roundabout. This is lunacy. The traffic levels on the N21 is 17,000 combined with 14,500 on the N20. Yet the N21 has to TOTO of the route. Why wont we sack these ****ers.

Aagggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I passed along the M20 as it is now called but was careful to check the speed limit. Coming off the Dooradoyle exit heading south the speed is 100 and heading north into the roadworks it is still 50.

I have not seen a 120kph speed sign yet. Keeping my eyes peeled though.

The redesignations wont go through until 28th of August meaning that the 100km/hr is the limit until then even though motorway signs are being put in place. I read this at the end of the statement regarding the redesignations.

The N7 Limerick bypass phase 2 under construction(Limerick tunnel) wont be getting blue signs though :(.

So basically by the end of the year we will have the following motorways near Limerick
    • M20 - Rossbrien-Attyflin(N20 interchange)
    • M7 - Limerick bypass phase 1 from Rossbrien-Newport interchange
    • M7 - Nenagh-Limerick
    • M18- Shannon-Ennis
    Not bad :D

I took this off Noel Dempseys page regarding the speed limits
    Drivers using the existing open sections of these routes should note, that until 28 August 2009, the current speed limit will apply.

Please note that all special speed limits (construction zones) will remain in place beyond August 28th, 2009

Well to be fair you couldn't expect to be doing 120km/hr in the tunnel.

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well to be fair you couldn't expect to be doing 120km/hr in the tunnel.

Thats true as motorway restrictions would be enforced on that section entering the tunnel. The speed limit can be changed on certain sections if needed.

Out of curiosity is there many new ADS signs(big direction signs) on the mainline itself of the soon to be M7 and M20?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looks like i will have an extra few mins in bed so!

Advertisement