Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housetrained cat suddenly peeing everywhere

Options
  • 16-07-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We have a two year old male cat who was totally housetrained up until a month or two ago. The problems started when a stray cat arrived in our garden and began to absolutely terrify him. Even the sight of the stray through the window sends him running behind the couch, shaking and growling and then he will remain on edge and jumpy at the slightest sudden movement for hours after that.

He has full run of the house and at the same time as the stray appeared he suddenly started peeing on the beds, on the sitting room carpet - anywhere basically. He won't even go and hide in a quiet corner as I have seen cats do before, but he will just pee wherever he is standing.

We have been to the vet who has said there's no problem with kidneys and whatnot and that he is just terrified because of the other cat and that is all there is to it.

He picked up an injury last week which means that he isn't allowed outside until he heals so we have a litter tray in the house again. He will use that, but then this morning my mother was awoken with him trying to pee on her bed again.

Has anyone experienced this and has any idea what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

A Feliway diffuser should help with the nervousness. Also, it might be a good idea to restrict his view of the windows he can see the cat through, seeing as he's indoors at the moment anyhow.

Also, with my rather nervous female (who combined spraying with UTI issues), I found that offering her lots of high safe places to sleep really helped - she's got a ceiling height cat tree with a hammock near the top, a top shelf with a blanket in it in my room and a high spot in the living room to sleep in. She also enjoys sleeping in cardboard boxes, so maybe some sort of dark safe den where he can shut out the world.

All this has helped a lot with my cat and she's much better these days.

Advertisement