Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB external Hard drive & Ubuntu

Options
  • 16-07-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

HI

I just installed Ubuntu recently and when I boot up my machine with a external USB hard drive plugged in Grub doesn't load. I have been using this hard drive for years on the same machine with XP installed. I noticed when I shutdown Ubuntu the external hard drive doesn't power off, I have to manually turn it off.
    It looks like Grub is detecting it and not liking it. I've checked the BIOS but can't see anything that could be causing this.
    Anyone got any ideas?

hertz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Does GRUB just stop or does it throw an error?

Is boot from USB turned on in your BIOS Boot options?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I had a problem recently that stumped me for a bit.. I used a liveUSB (i.e. a live CD on a USB key) from which I installed ubuntu. But when I rebooted I had problems with grub and the reason turned out to be the USB key became a new SSD drive and that moved the order of disks in my system - when I removed it the disk order changed again and hence my grub issues. Perhaps when you boot with the USB disk installed a similar thing is happening? Check the disks & their order, in the BIOS setup screens, without & with the USB disk plugged in to see if things change!

Advertisement