Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Magic or Iphone (not 3 GS) which is better and why?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Interested in these two (both non-contract) and ignoring the price of both can people give advice on which is better/you prefer and why?
    I know that:
    iphone way more apps
    HTC better camera

follow up question: can HTC be unlocked/jailbroke easily?

Cheers,
    Patrick.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I like the look of the magic. It has some nice features.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My opinion goes this way
    Standard iPhone vs Standard Magic : iPhone by slight edge
    Jailbroken iPhone vs Rooted Magic: Magic by a bit more

If youre not really into the modding side id go with the iPhone, dev/mod interests go with the Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Neither, HTC Hero.

Neither, HTC Hero.
    Actually ignore me. This wins

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Senenpeter

Yes but the Hero is not out for ages, to be honest I was about to buy the magic on ebay yesterday but then I read about the samsung i7500, now i'm torn. True the hero looks packed, much more powerful processor, but I need a phone now and the I'm not getting the iphone from O2. Its ridiculously over priced...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

The Magic is just a G1 without a physical keyboard. It runs the stock Android build which is not as good as the iPhone OS. It has some frustrating limitations like no support for viewing pdf and doc email attachments & no multitouch (you have to zoom webpages using clunky buttons on the bottom of the screen). The Magic is really a waste of money; no headphone jack and no storage (you need a memory card). I'd wait for the Hero or if you really can't wait, get the i7500 at least.

As for the iPhone being overpriced, SIM-free its price is comparable to most other SIM-free smartphones. Factoring in the contract, it's overpriced certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'd definitely wait 2 weeks for the hero. http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=185805

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Sorry but ye're getting side tracked. The hero isn't in my choices due to prices. Someone at work is selling Magic for about 200, so that brings it into contention.

mobius42 wrote: »
    The Magic is just a G1 without a physical keyboard. It runs the stock Android build which is not as good as the iPhone OS. It has some frustrating limitations like no support for viewing pdf and doc email attachments & no multitouch (you have to zoom webpages using clunky buttons on the bottom of the screen). The Magic is really a waste of money; no headphone jack and no storage (you need a memory card). I'd wait for the Hero or if you really can't wait, get the i7500 at least.
    My G1 does all these things :pac:

+ and 8gb MicroSDHC card costs fcuk all

My G1 does all these things :pac:

+ and 8gb MicroSDHC card costs fcuk all

You had to root it to get the multitouch, I presume. I'm talking about out of the box stuff. Most people don't want to hack their phones to get it to do what they want.
    dinneenp wrote:
    Sorry but ye're getting side tracked. The hero isn't in my choices due to prices. Someone at work is selling Magic for about 200, so that brings it into contention.

€200 for the Magic isn't bad, provided it's unlocked. In that case, I'd probably go for it. The i7500 is better hardware, but it'd most likely be a good bit more expensive.

• Advertisement

MOBIUS- magic will be locked to Vodafone, is it easy to unlock/can get codes etc from net?

how much would I pay for 8GB memory card for it?

Cheers,

dinneenp wrote: »
    MOBIUS- magic will be locked to Vodafone, is it easy to unlock/can get codes etc from net?

how much would I pay for 8GB memory card for it?

Cheers,

The best option would be to get the guy you're buying it from to ring Vodafone and get the unlock code for it from them. People are offering codes online, but they're charging money and I have never used them so I don't know how trustworthy they are.

8GB microSD can be got for less than £10 off amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Micro-SDHC-Card-Adapter/dp/B000WH6H1M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247948614&sr=8-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

i had a first gen iphone, then an omnia and now a magic. i can say without a shadow of a doubt the magic is the best for me.

if someone offered me either the magic or 3gs for free id still go for the magic

i would of waited for the hero but i just dont like the look of it.

mobius42 wrote: »

As for the iPhone being overpriced, SIM-free its price is comparable to most other SIM-free smartphones. Factoring in the contract, it's overpriced certainly.

The iphone is way over priced even SIM free- €1069, its in a league of its own.... http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=183742

That's settled then, I'm going to wait for the Hero. The open source OS Android pushed me over the line, plus the magic is doesn't have 288 processor and might be a bit sluggish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

they both suck. get a sensible phone like the E71 i'd say

Senenpeter wrote: »
    The iphone is way over priced even SIM free- €1069, its in a league of its own.... http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=183742

That's settled then, I'm going to wait for the Hero. The open source OS Android pushed me over the line, plus the magic is doesn't have 288 processor and might be a bit sluggish.
    The magic has a 528mhz processor same as the hero

Hi,
    Can anyone actually give me a bit of detail into +/- for the phones- just 'it sucks' etc aren't very helpful.

Cheers.

This is bad... The Hero has the exact same spec as the Magic (528MHz CPU, 288MB of RAM, and a paltry 512MB ROM) with a much more demanding OS an apparent lag/freeze problem

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/htc-hero-review/
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39030107,49303060,00.htm

As the Sense UI will be available for the Magic down the line, why would anyone get the Hero? The multi-touch and 3.5mm jack dont really cut it if the hardware cant keep up with the software

Advertisement