Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living in melbourne

Options
  • 16-07-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all, just wondering about the cost of living in melbourne, as in everyday stuff like how much is a pint, loaf of bread, pack of cigs, whats the average rent per week (actually where is the best place to live?!) and stuff like that,

im still in ireland but iv been offered a job sub teaching in melbourne but im not sure how many hours a week id be working so i just want to get an idea of how much you kind of end up spending a week and whether id be able to keep myself! thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi all, just wondering about the cost of living in melbourne, as in everyday stuff like how much is a pint, loaf of bread, pack of cigs, whats the average rent per week (actually where is the best place to live?!) and stuff like that,

im still in ireland but iv been offered a job sub teaching in melbourne but im not sure how many hours a week id be working so i just want to get an idea of how much you kind of end up spending a week and whether id be able to keep myself! thanks!

Depends where the job is. In most cases if you come here on a standard teachers wage. I would say you will live comfortably. Avoid high rent areas like St Kilda, South Yarra, etc

I would make sure you know the hours.

A pint is 7-8 Bucks
    Give up smoking
    Loaf of bread about 2-4 bucks Depending on what you want

Australia is not cheap, If you get the hours you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

http://grocery.bestpricedirectory.com.au/

The rent for my room is $150 a week in a 3 bed share house in Richmond (unfurnished)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Cigarettes cost around $12 for a pack of 25. A 2 bed house costs $1,200-$2,000 per month, depending on the area. www.realestate.com.au is one of the best sites for browsing. As for where to live, that really depends on where you'll be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 delgirlie

Hi Sounds right
    I know this question is getting off your original post... but how did you get subbling work over there... i just got let go of my secondary school teaching job in may and have been thinking of working in melbourne since, at moment just doing the research... any help greatly appreciated,, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sounds-right

delgirlie wrote: »
    Hi Sounds right
    I know this question is getting off your original post... but how did you get subbling work over there... i just got let go of my secondary school teaching job in may and have been thinking of working in melbourne since, at moment just doing the research... any help greatly appreciated,, thanks
    hi delgirlie, i just applied to a recruitment agency that organises substitute teachers in the city of melbourne, very helpful with regards getting your qualifications recognised, registration etc. www.anzukteachers.com.au any information i can give you just pm me, il be landing there in two weeks so i can let you know what its like!

• Advertisement
Advertisement