Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais or Airtricity?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

ESB seems to be very expensive, especially in these recessionary times, so what do people think, Bord Gais or Airtricity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Airtricity!

Unless of course you dont like greener energy (with similar cost to BGE)

And also if you prefer keeping your bank details to yourself Id steer clear of BGE :p

EDIT: Its hardly a bargain alert? Id question the intelligence of anyone who hasnt switched away from ESB Customer Supply at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Riordan123

I was lookin at the Airtricity site alright, Its .33c cheaper then BGE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If you're a gas customer of Bord Gáis and sign up for electricity and pay by direct debit - they will be cheaper than Airtricity.

Heroditas wrote: »
    If you're a gas customer of Bord Gáis and sign up for electricity and pay by direct debit - they will be cheaper than Airtricity.

I dont have gas, so I think ill prob change over to Air..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Airtricity. 1% more exp then bord gais but waaaaaay cleaner. I think the 1% is worth it!!

Yeah, I think, Airtricity is the lucky one!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Airtricity!

Unless of course you dont like greener energy (with similar cost to BGE)

And also if you prefer keeping your bank details to yourself Id steer clear of BGE :p

EDIT: Its hardly a bargain alert? Id question the intelligence of anyone who hasnt switched away from ESB Customer Supply at this stage

Your comment with the bank details is not correct because before the BGE problem Airtricity had a similar problem in which their web site got hacked and bank and credit card details were stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭steamboat

Airtricity only guarantee these discounts until 31st Jan 2010, which isn't that far away. From the FAQ page on their website...
    What happens if the ESB change their prices?
    We will guarantee these discounts on ESB electricity unit rates until 31st of January 2010

There doesn't seem to be a clear indication of how prices can change after that.

Bord Gais discount on the other hand is for the entire first year, and guarantee at least 5% cheaper than ESB for years 2 and 3...

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/htm/residential_electricity/3_existing_customer/index.htm?layer=4
    The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer. Terms and conditions apply

Personally, I'm going with Airtricity because its cleaner, even though it could be a little more expesive than Bord Gais in the longer term. If rates do go too high in the future i can always swtich again - you are not locked into a contract or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ibuprofen

Looked into airtricity and to get their rate you have to sign up for direct debit which is fine but you also have to join their Budget Plan.

They don't give you the details of it until the second payment when your already tied in to a direct debit. You don't pay on the amount you use but on the amount they assume you could use.......all a bit dodgy I think.

They also only give you a statment every 6 months and you have to send in your own meter readings.......

I'd definitely read the fine print in your contract if your thinking of it....

Went with Bord Gais myself because it's the cheapest in Ireland with 14 % off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not a Bargain Alert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement