Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Paul McKenna/Hammond Short

Options
  • 16-07-2009 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Was watching the re-run of this episode yesterday (again), and with all the talk of staged/contrived/scripted shorts on top gear it got me wondering about this one. Ill prob get flamed for even asking the question, but did anyone believe that McKenna actually made Hammond forget how to drive, and believe his little electric 911 was a real car?

Normally being Top Gear, Id say it was a stunt, but to me it did kinda seem
    real(ish). Watching Hammonds reactions as it was played back to him, his reactions when Clarkson crashed into his 911 etc, it just got me thinking. Opinions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

100% fake, Richard Hammond is a terrible actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

phasers wrote: »
    100% fake, Richard Hammond is a terrible actor.

Dunno, I've seen a hypnotism live before and seemed pretty real to me.
    He made people think a chair was floating when it was caried by the hypnotist who they thought was invisible.
    Anyway, apparently you have to accept what you are being asked to do, if you even question it for a minute it wont work.

I think the driving the car bit was real, but the toy car part was fake because the hypnotist that I saw spent about 3 minutes explaining the command over and over again, yet McKenna only asked hammond once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hypnosis DOES work. Problem is, you can only hypnotise somebody if they WANT to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'd say it was real. Hammond seemed genuinely confused and later pissed off.

And in fairness...if he was faking, Hammond I mean, he would not have been able to hold it together.

Not even the best actor in the world would be able to go through all that, and not even flinch. That bit where he was asleep and Jezza looked at him and said "...Hamster?", and everyone burst out laughing, he wouldn't have gotten through that.

If he was faking...he should seriously consider a change in career.:p

I think the driving the car bit was real, but the toy car part was fake because the hypnotist that I saw spent about 3 minutes explaining the command over and over again, yet McKenna only asked hammond once.

Well in fairness, they probably editted a lot of that. Paul more than likely spent about half an hour with Hamster before the show.
    And then cut some bits of the whole Porsche bit.

In fairness...they wouldn't spend 5 minutes showing Paul repeatedly saying "this toy car is your Porsche 911..." to Hammond.

I still maintain that it was real.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Well in fairness, they probably editted a lot of that. Paul more than likely spent about half an hour with Hamster before the show.
    And then cut some bits of the whole Porsche bit.

In fairness...they wouldn't spend 5 minutes showing Paul repeatedly saying "this toy car is your Porsche 911..." to Hammond.

I still maintain that it was real.:)

I see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I LOVE that episode! Poor the Hamster <3

I wonder what a hypnotised James would have been like :D

I LOVE that episode! Poor the Hamster <3

I wonder what a hypnotised James would have been like :D

Haha I know, I almost feel embarassed for Richard :pac:.

A hypnotised James...hm, that would be interesting. I wonder what they would have made them do.

I think the reason he couldn't do it was because of his vertigo or something. It could have caused problems. Also, I think he may have been a bit too pedantic to go through with it :pac:

As for Jezza...I'd say he would be too stubborn...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

In the car part was brilliant, the way it was talking looked like he was deffo under a spell.

"Yeah that's the, eh...power...thing"

aka the steering wheel :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement