Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car radio

Options
  • 16-07-2009 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Wondering if anyone can advise..
    I want to get my boyfriend a new car stereo for his birthday. He used to have a 6 cd stereo in his previous car which he loved and doesn't in his current car. He drives an O7 passat. His birthday is coming up (31) and I'd like to buy him a new stereo with 6 disc but don't know where to start..
    any ideas on how or where to start or what I need to find out before i start? All ideas welcome..

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Made USB would be a better option than a cd changer? That way he could have access to all this music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 discovery1

Thx, Appreciate the speedy reply..

Is there certain brands of stereo/USB that only fit certain car models or do they all fit but you need different adaptors for the car model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

If he has an ipod or iphone, you could do one of the following:

1. Get an fm transmitter to play his ipod/iphone music over the car stereo by means of a radio wave. These cost about €40 - €70 depending on what you buy. You wouldn't need to change the car stereo.

2. If his car stereo has an aux in port (its basically a 3.5mm hole similar to what you'd stick a walkman/ipod earphones into), you can buy a 3.5mm cable to connect his ipod/iphone to the stereo. Again no need to change the car stereo and so this is the cheapest option.

3. A new stereo with bluetooth connectivity to stream music from his phone to the car stereo.

4. A new stereo with aux in/usb slot (for sticking a usb key with music on it into the usb slot).

There are other options but I'd be listing them all day. Basically, carrying round a lot of cds in your car is being consigned to history as people (and car radio manufacturers) are realising that you can store all your music (e.g. I've got 1,000+ songs on my iphone) on ipods, iphones, other phones, usb keys etc and so there's no need to carry cds in your car anymore, which will also free up storage space in the car.

If you want to see the options in the flesh, drop into a Halfords store (or look online at Halfords.ie) or your local car accessory shop.

Finally, if you are changing the stereo, be mindful that there may be issues with the car's remote control features for the radio as they may not be 100% compatible with the new stereo, e.g., I could have gotten the radio changed in my car but I would have lost the built in radio display and so would have been left with a blank screen in my car and then I'd have to take my eyes of the road to look down to where the new radio was. This put me off changing the factory fit radio and so I went with teh fm transmitter which works a treat.

Advertisement