Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apollo 11 Launch 40 years ago today

Options
  • 16-07-2009 11:13am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apollo 11 was launched 40 years ago today. anyone here old enought to remember it? I was 2 at the time so no memory:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

5 years before my time sadly. I just posted in the "wechoosethemoon.org" thread that 'launch' is just over 3 hours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I remember it well, they landed at 9:17 p.m. BST on Sunday July 20th and the first walk was several hours later, at 4 a.m. Irish time. I was more excited about the actual landing because I knew that the act of walking down the steps to take the first steps on the lunar surface was more symbolic than anything else. Several unmanned US and Russian probes had made earlier soft landings so we knew the surface was hard and well suited for humans to walk on.

I visited Mission Control in Houston in 1986 as a tourist and was amazed at how small it was, it looked much bigger on TV during the Apollo missions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was 4 so missed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

14 years before me

Advertisement