Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Outlook - two questions........

Options
  • 16-07-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

1. Address Book: I recently sent an general email to clients telling them about my summer holidays. I went through the address book and BCC'd all the relevant addresses.

However, a lot of clients were not listed there. Yet, if I opened a new message and typed the first couple of letters of their name, the full email address would appear in the address bar. So, they stored somewhere. But, where?

Also, if I highlighted their name in the address bar and chose "Add to contacts", they don't appear in the Address Book when I check it. Very odd.

Any ideas?

2. Out of Office Reply: Is it possible to set up an out of office reply that only replies to addresses in your address book and not spam email?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

For the first part of your question this will give you all the info as regards where they are stored:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/HA011394511033.aspx

2. Depending on your version of Outlook, I'll go with 2003, Go to set your out office assistant as normal, then in the bottom left corner there is an option "Add Rule" and in there selct the "From" option and select the names you want to receive the OOO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply.

I've just discovered that POP3 email accounts do not support the Out of Office Reply feature. Pity.

As to my missing email addresses, I think you may have misunderstood my question, or I'm being thick!

I don't want to copy anything to this computer. I'm just wondering why some addresses that appear in the address bar of a new email - when I type the first couple of letters of the address - are not in my address book.

In addition, highlighting these addresses in the address bar, then right-clicking and choosing Add to Contacts, doesn't appear to add them to the Address Book.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks.

D.

ps. I'm Outlook 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

outlook keeps a cache of all emails you have emailed previously.

These are kept in the %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder as *.oab files

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The addresses come from a .nk2 file which stores email addresses and/or nicknames that you have used to send emails to but have not saved them to your contacts.

When you bring up the name in the address bar you can right click it and then add to contacts - does this bring up a contacts screen? There is also a pretty handy tool called nk2csv which you can use to export these emails to a csv file. I think you can then import them into your contacts.

On your out of office, do you use your own domain or is it something like an eircom one?

Insurgent wrote: »
    When you bring up the name in the address bar you can right click it and then add to contacts - does this bring up a contacts screen?

That's precisely my problem.

When I right click on an address and choose Add to Contacts, nothing happens. No contacts screen appears.

In addition, I have no recollection of adding most of the addresses already in my Address Book. I can only assume that they've been added automatically. But, why not these other addresses that appear in the address bar, but are not in the address book?

Very odd.

D.

ps. Yes, I've got an Eircom email address.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming you know that there are two different "Address Books" in Outlook. There is the Outlook Address Book and there is your Contacts.

Is it possible the addresses are being added to your contacts but you are then looking for them in the Outlook Address Book?

Thanks for that.

Just checked and one address is not in either Contacts or Address Book, but does auto-complete in the address bar.

However, having opened and closed Contacts, I again tried a blank email and typed in an address. This time, right clicking on it and choosing Add to Contacts *did* open the Contacts window. Don't ya just hate computer!....and the address has now been added to my Address Book too.

Must have been a bug somewhere.

Sorted!

Thanks to all.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Just checked and one address is not in either Contacts or Address Book, but does auto-complete in the address bar.

However, having opened and closed Contacts, I again tried a blank email and typed in an address. This time, right clicking on it and choosing Add to Contacts *did* open the Contacts window. Don't ya just hate computer!....and the address has now been added to my Address Book too.

Must have been a bug somewhere.

Sorted!

Thanks to all.

D.

An auto complete entery does not have to be in your address book. It is just a record of a previous address entered.

Advertisement