Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INCEST+CATS

Options
  • 16-07-2009 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Prob a stupid question but i have no idea of this.

My cats 12 weeks old and my sisters is 12 weeks also.They are both from the same litter.Mines a boy and hers is a girl. My sister is going on holidays for a week and asked me to take her cat which i said yes to.

However im just wondering do cats know they are related and do they have any concept of incest?

i know with mice and rats they have sex with their brothers and sisters, but im just wondering do cats know this or do they just sleep with anyone including their family members.

Last thing i want is the two of them doing anything as neither of them are fixed yet. my sister would kill me if her cat got pregnant. sorry i sound fairly thick but only had my cat 6 weeks and never owned one before so im not sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

At twelve weeks old they aren't going to be able to breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Unfortunately, they would breed and from 3 months old this is possible. Speak to your vet about neutering. I got a brother and sister and they had to be neutered very early. Showing an unhealthy interest in each other. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Unfortunately, they would breed and from 3 months old this is possible. Speak to your vet about neutering. I got a brother and sister and they had to be neutered very early. Showing an unhealthy interest in each other. :(

Ohhh dear- my vet wont neuter my guy until he is 6 months i have spoken to him about it already. The female kittens here now been here since last night and thankfully they dont seem to be that way inclined yet thank god - just wrestling and playing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

If its only for a week and the female cat hasn't gone into season yet you should be ok. If the female starts "calling" a lot, meowing like crazy, rubbing up against everything and sticking her bum in the air - that means she is ready to mate.:D

At 12 weeks it would be unusual for her to be ready - but crazier things have happened. Just keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Ohhh dear- my vet wont neuter my guy until he is 6 months i have spoken to him about it already.

Have you pointed out the large and growing body of veterinary evidence highlighting the benefits of early neutering for cats? Maybe try finding a more enlightened vet if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

When I had Polly (she passed away at 1.5 years old) , her brother tried it on with her a couple of times. Mounting her etc.

I caught them in the act and the look of confusion on their faces was comical. Both were spayed, so no chance of a litter.

I kept an eye on them and it seemed to pass when they were about 6-8 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Prob a stupid question but i have no idea of this.

My cats 12 weeks old and my sisters is 12 weeks also.They are both from the same litter.Mines a boy and hers is a girl. My sister is going on holidays for a week and asked me to take her cat which i said yes to.

However im just wondering do cats know they are related and do they have any concept of incest?

i know with mice and rats they have sex with their brothers and sisters, but im just wondering do cats know this or do they just sleep with anyone including their family members.

Last thing i want is the two of them doing anything as neither of them are fixed yet. my sister would kill me if her cat got pregnant. sorry i sound fairly thick but only had my cat 6 weeks and never owned one before so im not sure

Unfortunately, cats dont know they are brothers and sisters once they get in heat... They will even have sex with their mother if she is in heat..
    At 12 weeks old you should not have that problem. However as some others say, it can happen. Usually a female cat will reach sexual maturity at around 4-5months, and a male cat at around 6months old.
    Regarding the vet, it all depends on their views. Some vets will prefer to neuter a male cat at 6-7months old and others will say to neuter them earlier. For female cats, it is better to do it at 4months or earlier.
    My male cat got neutered when he was 7months old cause my vet explained that if you do it to early, it can cause problem with blockage etc... Just look how your cats are behaving and then if you trust your vet, go with what they say (like doctors, there are some good and very bad docs/vets)

Just look how your cats are behaving and then if you trust your vet, go with what they say (like doctors, there are some good and very bad docs/vets)

They have actually been grand- got a bit of a fright when my guy jumped on her earlier but turns out they were just playing:p

Ya i trust my vet- but i have told my sister that after this week i wont be taking her cat again until my guys netured and she agrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I have rescued more stray cats and their kittens than I care to remember and I have never seen a kitten go into heat at 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

In some cat behaviour books i have read that the mating game for cats is rough play and then the male will try to pin her down by the throat and if she lets him thats her way of saying shes in heat and ready to mate. Thats one way of noticing if they are displaying sexual behaviour toward each other. But it is a very very unlikely event that both of them are secually mature yet anyway.

I have a male & female (both neutered) and they play this mating game alot but once it gets to pinning the neck to the ground she pushes him off and the game ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

However im just wondering do cats have any concept of incest?

Is the pope a cat (holic)?

/ gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have twin kittens and she was spayed at 6 months on the dot, have had other kittens spayed at 6 months none came in to heat. Although it's not unheard of for kittens to go in to heat early at 3 months it's not likely.

Vets wouldn't spay early years ago and even nowadays not many will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Strangest post title ever

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Its is all fun and games till a two headed kitten is born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I have to say we got all ours done at 6 months and they were fine. We have used a few vets and they all recommend 6 months.

Healium wrote: »
    Strangest post title ever

i did question the title:D

Anyway no pining each other down at all, just general playing though there was squealing if the other played too rough- had to seperate them on a few occasions, but when i left them they would always go over and lick each others face- then fight again:rolleyes:

sister had 2 come home early so girls gone- and my little mans lost without her:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

i did question the title:D

Anyway no pining each other down at all, just general playing though there was squealing if the other played too rough- had to seperate them on a few occasions, but when i left them they would always go over and lick each others face- then fight again:rolleyes:

sister had 2 come home early so girls gone- and my little mans lost without her:(

Maybe get him a little friend??;) There are so many kittens looking for homes at the moment, its kitten season.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

Prob a stupid question but i have no idea of this
    joke i take it! hope youv'e no cousins staying over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

joke i take it! hope youv'e no cousins staying over

Not a joke - so don't make fun.

ISDW wrote: »
    Maybe get him a little friend??;) There are so many kittens looking for homes at the moment, its kitten season.

cant- what with his insurance and shots etc we can only afford him:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement