Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering UK import

Options
  • 16-07-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Folks,

I recently imported an old Hymer from the UK that I presume originally came from the continent (probably Germany) as it was LHD. I have had problems registering it her and am wondering if any of you have had the same experience. The V5 registration document shows the date of first registration as 2003 - this also appears to be the date it was imported into the UK. There is nothing on the document to show when it was first registered on the continent except a note indicating the year of manufacture as 1988. The vehicle registration office here have informed me that I will have to register it as a 2003 as this is the date of first registration on the UK cert!! They have actually forwarded me a 03 LK number. :eek:
    I'm not too happy about registering a 1988 camper with a '03 numberplate - I can imagine the explaining I would have to do to the new buyer. I have faxed the DVLA in the UK to check if any of the import documents from the registration in 2003 are available and possibly showing the registration date in Germany.
    Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Yes. This year we went about registering a camper which was not quite as old as yours. the "tax book" from the UK had the same thing going on as yours. The lady at VRT never questioned the date of first registration and so we ended up with a van 3 years younger - just like that!! VRT people go by the book and that's what they did. Yours situation is different as an older camper is in question. Dont know what you could do really. Just sharing my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jakefouro

Thanks for that Muint - 15 years is a big gap alright. Did your V5 from the UK have a date of manufacture on it? Hopefully I get some information back from the DVLA - if not I'll have to register it like you - dont think it would pass for a 2003 van though!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

No date of manufacture on the V5

Advertisement