Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Continuity

Options
  • 15-07-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

I dont like singling someone out for they way they speak, but frankly, when your job is continuity, you live and die by the quality of your speaking voice.

I have to then wonder why tv3 have hired someone completely unsuitable to voice their programming announcements?

She's quite nasal, and not only has she an AA Roadwatch "ite / sithe / rind-abite" accent, she also has that uppy-downy, sing-song intonation so beloved of vapid telephonists and unhappy P.A. Announcers - For instance, She's just announced The upcoming comedy on 3e, and followed on with an in-depth description of what was to be on Vincent Browne's programme, but to be honest, all I could hear was :

*Bing bong*. "Mr Johnson, phone call in Sithe terminal reception, Mr Derek Johnson, please pick up the telephone iteside the reception desk in the sithe terminal please. Derek Johnson. Reception." *Bing Bong*.

It's made watching Tv3 (which was already pretty hit-and-miss) comparable to being permanently trapped in Departures in Foxrock airport.

Am I alone in finding this to be thoroughly awful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wow! Foxrock has an airport now?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Yes. The Dubarry-French international Helipad for wealthy visitors.

It's just sithe of the Corrickmoines rindabite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Even before I thought TV3 was a terrible idea (2 weeks in to their first broadcasts) I thought the TV3 continuity announcers where dreadful. I used to hate some of the ill thought out "comedy" of some former RTÉ continunity announcers until I heard the phrase

"UP NEXT"

and now he is on a huge number of ads :(

I think I might leave TV3 alone for a while, better for me in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

It's the fake American accent that does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The same fake yank accent that is used on those Kildare Village radio ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Yes! Lucozade Sport has the same idea too, this time with a booming male voice (equally annoying!)

Over the years I've bumped into people who have either worked at TV3 or know folk who do, and any time I say that I don't really watch/enjoy it, they go out of their way to defend the station. "It's run on a shoestring budget" seems to be the most common quote.

So we should all stop not liking it because they have no money, OK kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

vibrant wrote: »
    Over the years I've bumped into people who have either worked at TV3 or know folk who do, and any time I say that I don't really watch/enjoy it, they go out of their way to defend the station. "It's run on a shoestring budget" seems to be the most common quote.

Shoestring budget hahahahahah :D plenty of money in the shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

If we're being charitable, then the excuse of a low budget might just wash as a reason as to why TV3 have so many poor talking heads programmes staffed by semi-recognisable eejits of negligible talent; and maybe even as to why TV3's evening schedule is regularly clogged with utter crap like Xpose and "Britains Strongest/Fattest/Dumbest -- Criminals/Bus Drivers/Perverts" etc., but a lack of a developmental budget is absolutely no excuse for bland, grating continuity.

I mean, how the hell much could it cost to hire someone who can coherently read a prepared script in a natural tone?

Advertisement