Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Level HDD Format Tool

Options
  • 15-07-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an open-source or freeware app that will do a low level format of a HDD prefferably live CD or USB.

I have a 160Gb HDD that had its partitions messed up when I was playing around with Acronis. I wasn't able to read anything off it and didnt want to pay up to 700E for data recovery. I recently came across a tool called Find&Mount which allowed me to access the partitions and get the data off the HDD. Now I just need to format the HDD now so I can use it again, I have tried using Partition Expert bootable CD but to no avail (it just hangs when booting into it presumably coz it cannot read the HDD partitons).

Any help and feedback welcome.

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Any linux livecd will include fdisk (command line) or grab the ubuntu livecd and run the following at a terminal for a graphical one:

sudo apt-get install gparted <enter>
    then:
    gparted <enter>

to edit the partition table

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Khannie,

That worked a charm alright, I don't think I'll ever need another partition management tool :-)

Regards,

Dave

Advertisement